1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell Latitude - Removable Power

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by booman, Apr 15, 2021.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    It has been a few years since I took apart a laptop, but I have done my share at the different IT jobs I've worked at. I've repaired screens, upgraded RAM & Hard Drives and even swapped motherboards... it a pain because everything is so small and fragile. I know... mobile phones are even smaller and more fragile, but I draw the line with mobile.

dell_laptop.jpeg

I have also seen the power connector on laptops get broken off because someone drops a plugged-in laptop or a kid hits the connector. Most laptops have a horrible design for power. The connector from the A/C adapter is usually straight or 90 degree angle and plugs into a circular or square port on the side or back of the laptop. This port is normally a connector soldered directly on the motherboard. So if the power connector is hit hard enough, the soldier joints break and its basically bricked unless you have someone who can buy a new/used one and soldier it back in. I've even resoldered the original port and it worked!

Today I'm replacing a keyboard on a Dell Latitude 5500 and found that Dell has a new feature in laptops that solves this problem! The motherboard connector is now free-floating and plugs into the motherboard. It is removable and easily replaced without the need of soldering.

Brilliant!

dell_removable_power.jpeg

I thank an engineer who resolve this problem with millions of laptops and a bad design.
    It goes all the way back to Nerf guns... they all break! Which part breaks? A tiny piece of plastic that gets a LOT of use.

Laptop power connectors get a LOT of use! This solves it!
  2. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

booman likes this.