1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is a better alternative gaming platform: Linux or ReactOS?

Discussion in 'Games' started by adamjohnson, Oct 28, 2016.

1. adamjohnson

adamjohnson New Member

My observations of both Linux and ReactOS suggest that ReactOS is better for gaming, especially 3D games. Full-screen animation on Linux is really slow and choppy, and this is true for every graphical Linux OS I have tried. ReactOS on the other hand has seamless full-screen 3D animation, if the screensavers are any indication. What are your observations? Have you used ReactOS for gaming, or have you found a Linux distro that has good full-screen animation?
  2. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    I have never had choppy or slow full screen animations. I suspect this is something that is very dependent on your hardware and having the right drivers for your graphics hardware.

Screensavers are in any case not a good indication of performance in any way as they are not made for performance, unlike games. This is also highly dependent on the screensaver in use.

I have no experience with ReactOS, nor do I personally have any interest in trying a Windows clone. However, my experience with using Linux as a gaming platform is very good. I play demanding games, both native Linux games as well as Windows games. I am able to run everything I have tried with settings ranging from high to ultra without any issues, and this is on a laptop.

Side note: I do recall having read at some point that ReactOS plans to be binary compatible with Windows, meaning that you can use graphics drivers made for windows. Based solely on this, I would suspect you can see greater performance as most hardware manufacturers always seem to focus on making drivers for Windows.

Side side note: Different distros should not have differing performance unless you compare bleeding edge distros with super stable, and then only because the typically stable distros offer older software and drivers. Different desktop environments and window managers might have a little effect.

Best way to find out: Try both and see what rocks your boat.
    booman likes this.