1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waiting

Discussion in 'As We Begin Our Journey Together' started by Daniel~, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    We in the west have only a poor understanding as to waiting. What it is or how it accomplishes it's task. So I have borrowed extensively from an Eastern work, the I-Ching to gain a better understanding for us.

Many think that one waits when one can go no further, when progress is blocked.

But this is not waiting. This is obstruction. Obstruction imposes itself upon us. We are prevented.

Waiting is different in character. In waiting we "Could" go ahead. We "Could" continue.

Waiting means putting the brakes upon strength.

A simple example would be a farmer sitting beside a bag of seed. He could get up and spread his seed into the field. But he does not. He chooses to await the spring. He puts the brakes upon his desire and awaits the right time for his undertaking.

So to wait one must be in full position of ones strength. One must first be ABLE to wait.
    Waiting outlines our limitations in time. We can do many things, but we can do only a few things now. For the rest we must await the right time.
    It has been said that 90 percent of our lives are spent in waiting. This is waiting seen as preparation. The farmer sitting beside his seed isn't doing nothing. He is waiting for the right time to arrive..Because he must. He cannot hurry the spring or plant in winter. He must work with the world not against it.

So here we have been talking about waiting as a means of properly integrating oneself into the flow of time. The passing of the seasons and of daily life. This is waiting as preparation for a time that is to come.

But there is another type of waiting. A waiting that is not altogether of the temporal world.
    A waiting that can begin in time yet find it's proper end in the eternal.
    A waiting that creates it's own time.

A waiting that fulfills its self in waiting.
    A waiting without a goal in sight.
    A waiting that asks an indeterminate question by it's waiting.
    A waiting that is the answer wished for.

Awaiting a proper state of mind.
    to open the waiting door to waiting
    waiting is slow time that pushes us to make a start.
    slows us that we might catch up
    Waiting, mind held in suspension, is contemplation.
    contemplation waits for understanding.
    waiting for strength to return is waiting to wait.

How valuable to have a space between us and the work to be done.
    a pause that frees our limbs to movement.
    Space to benefit all beings.

But for this we must wait until the time catches up with us, made easier if we wait.
  2. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

From what's portrayed in movies it looks like Native Americans know how to be patient.
  3. Daniel~

Home page:
    They do indeed possess patience, but what they have to contend with is bare naked oppression.
    They are obstructed at every turn. They do worse than our black brothers when they are dragged to trial.

Why does no one understand that we need these people, we need their forgiveness. But how can we accept forgiveness when we have yet to admit to our genocidal hatred for all who differ from ourselves.
  4. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Hoo boy, yet another winner for White Boys R Us. My machine crashed hard on me roughly a week ago, after patience, a new SSD and installing Mint Cinnamon 19.1 maybe I'm up again. Yaay!
  5. Daniel~

Home page:
    Congrats on squaring the circle and getting back up and running. Are you sure you SSD is bad?
    I haven't heard anything about dying SSD's.

isn't it amazing how fast one can gain control over Mint! Here you are diagnosing and repairing your settup!
    It only gets better from here.":O}
  6. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Amazing just how unusable Mint Cinnamon 19.1 is! There's a "killing cinnamon" daemon hard at work, I feel especially blessed.

My SSD definitely died, no ifs or buts. Mint Cinnamon 19.1 presents the user with a never ending list of items with five options to choose. The beauty of these five choices (by the hundreds of sets) is that most of them do not compute, in other words, I don't understand at all which option to choose.

19.1 is most successful at proving I'm an idiot!

I'm shocked at this distro's extraordinary ability to not work for me! I can't even permanently set screen resolutions. Firefox can't fit inside the desktop, for instance.
    And the choices offered for Tess's backgrounds are an amazing 5000 x ~4000 pixels. I'm so glad that I never sold the old drive in movie theater that's been in the family for decades. Mint Cinnamon 19.1 actually fits nicely upon choosing the big 50ft by thirty seven foot size screen.

Personally speaking, I HATE 19.1. I ordered a new copy of Mint Cinnamon 17.3.

I already stated that I don't have the brain power to BEGIN installing using this distribution. Please, please don't tell me how greeeATE this pos is. I'm glad that you like it, hat's off to your better cranium!
  7. Daniel~

Home page:
    Sorry your having troubles.Especially as you point out, this is your lack of understanding.

I and countless others have zero problems. So if you do, that's on you.

Now that we understand that your having difficulties ,
    we can move towards a solution.

Trust me, this isn't 19.1, this is George once again showing his impatience.

Can you get an install where you have a connection to this forums?
    I ask as patience and a connection to our forums is all I have ever had to get Mint to serve me.

Get a Mint 19.1 up and connected and I promise you we can figure this out.

But this will take time and a willingness to learn rather than burn Mint 19.1.

Start with the basic install. take note of anything thing you think is off.

Once you get here tell us how you managed to screw up mint.
    That's right, I hold you responsible. Why don't you?

If things are to go wrong, your ever so much better off taking responsibility as then you can work toward a solution.

You can tell yourself any number of things that seem to get you off the hook.
    But getting you off the hook does not get you Mint 19.1

Here's what you should focus on. Daniel, Boo, Gizmo and TR all use the exact same code that is screwing you up.If we can use it, we can show you how to use it.

Why in heavens name have you not asked us for help?

Did you install an update or did you install fresh?

Did your drivers install correctly in Driver manager?
    Did you read Mint's install instructions?

What was the first indication that your install was going south?

My best advice, reinstall Mint 19.1 from scratch. Come here and list your difficulties as simply and clearly as you can. DO NOT Hurry this! Take your time..

Something you may not have considered.. We all use mint 19.1. This doesn't make us useless in 17, but we
    Won't be able to duplicate your mistakes and so find a way to correct them.

You labored to long alone and without guidance. Bound to cause some resentment and frustration.
    Now is the time to begin anew. Collect your self and collect your friends and let's get you up and running properly.

Quit now and you fail and accomplish nothing. Show perseverance and I have little doubt we can find you a way to move ahead, leaving this distasteful failure behind,

Mint 19.1 does not work for me because I want it to. But rather because
    I allow it to. I find out what it wants and supply it.

How do I find out these things? I ask here in our forums for guidance and instruction.
    You see me doing this ALL the time!

If you wish to succeed at something, find someone who already has, them ask their help in getting you there.
    You act like your an orphan without friends or family.

Your not! You have the help and support of everyone here.

you need only ask. ":O}

I'm unsure of what you mean when you say that 19.1offers to many choices.

Just use the standard install. If I remember correctly You have to tell Mint which drive to use and weather you want to use it all.

While installing take note (write it down) any choices you don't understand.
    Then write down what you choose to do. Doesn't matter weather you choose rightly or wrongly, just wright down what you choose at each point of decision.

Then if things go wrong, reinstall and make different choices.wright those choices down. Could be very time consuming!!

So come back here with you list of choices and what you choose each time.

Our collective "We" can probably nail your error down.

If you get a good install, were done. Have I had installs go seriously wrong?

Did Roy Rogers stuff Trigger and mount him in his living room?

Yes by God he did and I have had installs that spent their entire lives throwing insults at me!!

So I just dump the install and begin a new guarding against impatience and seeking the help of my friends. A re-install usually cures what ails me.

When It doesn't I post here and spend my time thinking about things that go wrong while I wait for help to arrive.
    HEY! HEY!

I'm over here!
    Your help has arrived! LOL
  8. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you Daniel, but listing the issues I have will waste valuable time that I may not have. There are so many that I fear listing them will be a fool's errand.

Yes, this is a clean install. But saying more will require a small encyclopedia. I'll reinstall 17.3 when I get the DVD. If I'm this stupid what can possibly be done to improve this? I won't waste your time, there are SO many problems that you don't have time to hassle with them.
  9. Daniel~

Home page:
    Errors of the magnitude you describe point directly to a bad install. I've had installs so bad that I thoght for sure Mint had gone to shit. Reinstalled and gained a perfect install.

Your at a cross roads. sigh folding your hands and give up. in which case you will learn nothing and begin a slow decline into a self doubt which comes to expect failure.

Or you can take your friends by the hand and follow. What is it you fear George? You have already failed, so nothing to lose there. As I see it about all you have to lose is the warm false security that says "I knew it would go wrong, I knew I couldn't do it!!

George you waste a lot of time in not listening to me. How long was it before you finally listened to me when I told you you could do Mint? You were punished for your lack of faith by having to face several more years of MS.

Quite frankly you deserved this for not following those you know you can trust.

Now go do a new clean install and let us know where WE are at. You not alone unless you give up.
    I love you George but I'm not going back to mint 17 so we can be friends! LOL

Have I ever misled you George? If so your right to assume that I don't know how to get you though this.

So like you have no one you can trust....

Unless you count Boo, Gizmo,and TR all of whom have dragged my ignorant ass out of more pot holes than I can count.

19,1 is simply much better and more complete than is 17 (A real gem in it's day, but that day is past.)

While we were learning to do mint 17 "They" were learning how to create Mint 19.1

They have gotten better at delivering a intuitive OS. Think of it as a relationship that was fumbled in the beginning. A bad start makes things a bit more difficult, But with perseverance one can over come these difficulties and move forward into friendship.

This is fairly simple stuff if you let it be. Reinstall and get back to us. I look at it this way, If you won't let me help you, how will I ever repay Boo, Gizmo, TR and countless others who had to give me the same lecture I'm giving you?
  10. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I'll reinstall it soon. I wish me far better luck than the first time.
  11. Daniel~

Home page:
    I can't count the number of times I've booted to a complete mess only to have everything correct itself with a re-install.Remember that once you start a re-install you don't really have much t o lose!

In the past I 've have re-installs fail several times only to finally get it right. So don't be impatient!
    Try to take time to think it though. If you reach a point where your unsure what to do, wright down what you chose and go the other way if it fails.

It just a process of elimination. So eliminate what doesn't work and try again... or phone home for help.":O}
  12. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Let us pray that my next try works properly. A friend has the installation disc to see if he could install it.
    I haven't heard from him. When I do I'll ask him to bring it back--and see if he had luck with it. The 19.1 I have now is an a abomination. Wish me luck, I shall need it.

Thank you for your help with this!
  13. Daniel~

Home page:
    You don't need luck, you have us! ":O}

What we need is your perseverance.

Trust me. These guys have worked wonders getting me up and running on far lest forgiving distros than Mint.

When you get it all back run a code check of your disk, it's a bit of a pain as it takes a while. But then you will know for sure your install code is alright and proper.

This is just a matter of steps. You tell us what you are seeing we tell you how to make it go away or how to bring it back as the case may be.

As your machine has run a different version (17 I would guess) in the past it;s super unlikely that you won't be able to run 19.1

If your friend has difficulties try installing 17 or 18 and then update it, then go for the upgrade to 19.1 Don't worry about that now, I'll take you though it if we need to go that way.

Mean while if you can achieve a relaxed confidence in what we are doing you can and will learn to enjoy these little adventures into the unknown.

It is important that you learn to enjoy...yes?
    !
  14. Daniel~

Home page:
    Rather than hope your next attempt succeeds, let us pray for the perseverance it may take to see this though.
    When we cling to perseverance rather that success we are not disappointed when something does not work. We instead gain from our experience the knowledge needed to go on.

You should trust you George, I know I do. ":O}
  15. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

What nice posts, thank you very much Dan! I left phone mail for my friend who has my 19.1 installation disc,
    hopefully he'll reply soon.
  16. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    George, I've just now see this thread; how did this turn out?
  17. Daniel~

Home page:
    I think poor George was hoping we would go away and leave him in disrepair! LOL
    Time to stand and deliver George! Hows Mint 19,1 treating you?

You know your my favorite Mint party crusher!

Hell man I liked you before there was a Mint in my life. Now that there is Mint in my Life I only like you a tiny bit less.LOL!

Be well whatever you do!
  18. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Shame on me, I didn't think to specifically update you very good people about my 19.1 installation. The shame, it burns!

This time I for instance didn't select to install a driver for my vidcard. I didn't select anything and out of instinct (I hope) didn't interfere with this Mint Cinnamon Tess 19.1 installation at all. I sat back and let the installation proceed as it wanted to.

Thirty painless minutes later 19.1 installed itself as it wanted to. And voyla, it was nearly a perfect installation.

My machine did not want to boot the installation disk. At all. I finally got lucky, whew. So I suppose I'll pay the extra moolah to get our kind of 19.1 on a thumb drive. Hopefully that will let the OS boot as it should. These blue DVD's don't last worth a hoot either.

The only problem I have is getting the screensaver to work correctly. It's its way or the highway. So I run Netflix in the background all the time, I hate having to sign in every ten minutes. Boy is "The Flash" tv show a roaring pos. And we Netflix users might find it worth squat come renewal time. The rumor is that Disney + will kill Netflix. This "entertainment" by DC is on par with other pos's from DC. Marvel, Star Wars and much more will be gone from Netflix. Eep.

I am definitely remiss in not keeping you up with my 19.1 sitch. Perhaps I was somewhat reluctant because it works as well as Daniel said all along? Soitenly not!
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
  19. Daniel~

Home page:
    If your using a Nvidia card next time let mint install it. You can install it now with device manger if you haven't all ready.

Set your backgrounds up to display random Mint back grounds and set the timer to less than 5 minutes and you won't need to use a screen saver at all.
    I to have had destro's that just would not install from disk, but it;s has been quite a while. I never did find out why. But like with yourself it eventually installed.
    Look George unless your as anal retentive as I am...don't waste your time when you hit a road block simply ask us how to get past what ever is standing in the way of your Mint Bliss.

When I first hit Linux I was asking help nearly every day. Mint is the only destro I even half way can speak. With Mint you just need to learn where things are and you can pretty much rely on Mint not to over complicate things beyond our humble abilities to use.

Anything else you would like to understand better?

And George for years I was the poster child for the "Help me please!!" movement.
    I can understand another s reluctance to accept that I might be of use.

And that my friend is the Glory of Mint! It turns dependents into supporters in no time at all.":O}

Attached Files:

20. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

A million Thank You's, Dan! I changed the Background as directed. I was already using "random Mint Tessa," yes "Tessa" backgrounds. And funnily enough the super gigantic size, 6000 x 4000 pixel one for instance don't confuse this Mint installation. I'm using a GeForce vid card cuz' those were recommended for Linux long ago.

Even though it looked like I needed to "manually" install the driver during installation NOT doing so made it muy bueno.

After I understood that I needed help to remind myself to breathe it became a habit to be a "Help asker for." Oh, the ignominy!