1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tweaking Mint 18.3 themes and settings

Discussion in 'Installing Linux' started by Daniel~, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    We got themes by the bushel here folks!
    Go to main menu and select Themes in the Preference menu:
    First go to "Add and remove" at the top of the window.

Screenshot from 2018-02-27 14-42-54.png
    Once you found one you like (Be sure to check out the on-line themes ready to be downloaded to your box.) Go back to the top and select "Themes"

Here you can select the various aspects of Window appearance
    Work on this when you have some time, much can be achieved by fiddling about with these settings and you can turn back anything you've lost interest in or want to change.

Back Grounds:
    Simply right click on your desktop.Choose change background settings.

Attached Files:

booman and batmanm0b1e like this.
  2. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Sorry about the pictures. I still hven't learned to get pics to go where I want them....sigh
  3. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I have been using the Windows7-Aero theme for a long time, but its no longer available in Mint 18.3
    So I've been using the new Windows 10 theme and its very nice.

In fact, you can make a few changes to the theme, like adding your own icon for the Menu or even migrate your old themes to the Mint installation.

Once you install a theme, the necessary files will go in:

~/themes

That is /home/username/themes

So you can copy that whole folder and past it in another home folder on another Linux Mint installation. Then go to your Themes and select a restored theme.

This is a great way to keep your favorite themes if they aren't available anymore
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  4. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

TBH, Mint Cinnamon's emulation of Aero is pretty lame. At least in my version of Mint. But it's a small sacrifice to be rid of Win!!
  5. booman

Home page:
    Yes, this is true. As you can see, each theme only has limited control to the Graphical User Interface.
    The themes can only change the appearance and scale of:
    • Menu
    • Panels
    • Window decoration
    That is about it. So its true Windows-Aero doesn't really simulate the "aero" experience.
  6. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Weyell, Win7's Aero undoubtedly comes with plenty of processor overhead. Does Mr, Mrs, Ms CPU need the extra work purely for eye-candy? And it's MS, so why do I think it can be good? Shame upon me! Linux all the way!
  7. booman

Home page:
    Hmm, I didn't even notice. Its mostly decoration, so I'm not sure how that would use up additional CPU over any other theme?
    I have noticed in general, that Cinnamon has some extra over-head. Not enough to kill things, but I have tested games in OpenBox here-and-there and gained a few frames per second.

I almost wish I could launch OpenBox when running a game in Wine, then return to Cinnamon when I'm done. Its kinda like a "safe mode"
  8. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Using Aero in Win7 eventually got me to a message from my machine. Periodically I saw a message that read (roughly) "you sure you want to use Aero? Your processor can't handle the overhead properly." I soldiered on 'cause I loved the effect. I know, shame upon my house.

The "Aero" offered in Cinnamon is lame compared to Win7's version. I know, that's heresy of the worst order. I imagine it uses a little processing power, but how many frames per second does this put you behind? Enough to really matter?
    Stupid me, to ask such an ignorant question. Please to forgive this unworthy one.
  9. booman

Home page:
    I don't really know...

I mostly use the Win10 theme at this point and do not notice any huge difference with native games.
    The difference is so small that I don't notice any extra CPU usage on any of my PCs.
    They range from:
    • Core2Duo -> AMD Phandom 3-core
    • GeForce 550Ti -> GTX 1060
    • 4 GB DDR3 -> 8 GB DDR3
    Now my touchscreen all-in-one is a totally difference scenario. It IS a bit slower and maybe I should use the default theme to speed it up? or even stick with OpenBox
  10. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

You sure have an "arsenal" of great Vidcards. But, truth to tell-- you surely deserve them! It amazes me that you use a Win10(obligatory--and well deserved "bad!" for that OS) theme in Linux. I'm glad that you've figured out how to use little processor overhead while doing so.
    I don't like touch screens, but that's only my opinion. They attract too many smudges, at least I assume they do. Assume--yes, that one bites me now and again.
  11. booman

Home page:
    The Win10 Theme isn't that bad. I mostly use it because my LAN party friends come from the Windows side, so it helps them feel "at home" on my computers... he he!

I don't like touch screens either. I got this one for free and we mostly use a mouse since its an older HP all-in-one. I don't even like smart phones. They have their uses, but man, I get really frustrated with em.
  12. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Funny, but "Smart" in the name of any electronic device really means "dumb user here. Sic 'em boys!" Isn't that cute? I don't and won't ever own a "smart phone." And they make my old fashioned dumb phone more of an effective spy every day. They just spy upon everything you do. Like just about every electronic device you could own. Thank you Presnit Bush, for the unnecessary war upon "Sadaam Hussein" that started all of this ball rolling. And thank you every Congressperson and president ever since for voting for "more security." More security for the powers that be, and far, far less for the man in the street.
    Maybe I'm just paranoid? Possibly.
    Just my humble opinion, of course.