1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top 11 Distros of 2015

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by booman, Mar 2, 2015.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
  2. booman

Home page:
    I have been hearing a lot of good things about openSuSE recently. I'm inclined to check it out even though I'm very happy with Mint 17.
  3. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

I don't think SteamOS is the best Linux for gaming now, because it is a pain in the ass to get to a bootable media. I know this guy has his opinion and all, but it seems like he doesn't quite know what he's talking about at times. I mean no offence when I say this, but gamers aren't known to be all tech savvy.

There is also the question of the customizable branch, if Arch Linux really deserves the throne. Gentoo Linux is as much customizable, if not more.

Best desktop distro is debatable. I don't think it belongs to any one distro. I think it's very narrow minded to give one branch to one distro, when there are many distros who is just as good as the other, just a different approach.
  4. booman

Home page:
    Maybe the article should be named: 11 distros for 2015

Sounds like Arch is your favorite!
    I'm sticking with Mint, mostly because I haven't spend the time exposing myself to the others.
    One day I will have to decide what I want to use for gaming on all of my 6 Desktops.
  5. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

Actually, Arch is not. When it comes to customization I actually prefer Gentoo, but I'm not confident enough atm to use it on my desktop. Manjaro can pretty much be used as Arch if you want to. I don't want something that requires a lot of maintenance on my gaming/ main PC, because it has to work without a lot of strings attached.
  6. Marlhin

Marlhin Member

Making a list of the best distros is always a very personal opinion.
    For me the best distro is Arch Linux. Even for gaming. Because you can set up your personal gaming machine by yourself. And in fact, the maintenance effort for my system is very low. I update my system once every week and in 5 months of using this distro I needed to manually adjust a few parameters after updating. And despite the update issues which occur maybe once in a half year, you may only run into the typical Linux issues which occur on every other distro, like messing around with libs and little problems regarding sound or graphics.
    I tried a lot of distros, especially Ubuntu based ones, but Arch evolved to be my top favourite.
  7. booman

Home page:
    Very cool. If only I had the patience to setup Arch Linux. Honestly I would rather spend my free time testing games than learning my operating system. I don't mind doing a few tweaks here and there to fix something or optimize, but I really want to be gaming.
    I know its two fold because if your system isn't setup correctly, you will have a hard time gaming.
    So because of gaming, I have learned alot about Linux. Because of Linux, I have learned more possibilities for my games.
    Like GamersOnLinux.com
    I wouldn't be going through all the steps to test games in Linux if it wasn't for games running in Linux.

I know I could learn a lot more, but I'll let gaming encourage that. :cool:
  8. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

Seems a bit strange to make a very personal list of many x best of x. I thought that mostly served the purpose of recommending x to people, and in that case personal preferences are pretty pointless unless it is a list for people that you know well.

Talking about personal favourites, I'm starting to prefer Gentoo & Funtoo over Manjaro. It runs very smooth, and my laptop feels more powerful than my desktop, excluding when playing games of course.
  9. booman

Home page:
    True, if I was going to list my personal favorite then I would list all the best features of Mint
  10. Aremis

Aremis Member

I hate fedora. I tried to install it once and it burned up the hard drive I had. A 450 gig too. Fedora is crap.
  11. booman

Home page:
    I never had an experience like that with Fedora, even when I had to use it the first time as a new Linux user.
    Fedora was always stable and secure.
    Aremis likes this.
  12. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

You should put Antergos somewhere in there. By far one of the most friendly, easy to use Arch-based distributions. I was blown away by it recently after trying the live version, I find that Manjaro doesn't even compare in terms of experience.

Personally, I'd like to say Fedora is great but it has too many hiccups. Ran into dependency hell when I was installing Ruby development tools to develop rails applications.

I think for me it's either Debian, a debian-based distribution or something that doesn't get in my way in terms of no-configuration and hassle free.

Heck, I've learned to like Ubuntu GNOME and I find it quite great for business purposes. (installed on laptop, I finally bought it).

Recently though I just want to support Canonical/Ubuntu. It's obvious that some distributions listed here won't make the cut in terms of not having funds to market itself or make a living like ElementaryOS are trying to push for.
  13. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

Antergos is really nice.