1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Sims 3 Help

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by Filipo, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Filipo

Filipo New Member

Hi! nice post!, first time using play on linux, I followed the steps 7 times now and It doesn't appear to work for me. Can you help me?
    look:
    It installs origin right, and get to download the game fine.
    when I launch it it launches origin, and then on the bar at the bottom of the screen, the sims logo appears 3 seconds and it dissappears.
    so I click the origin square to pop up the origin window and there is the game icon, and I click play. Then the sims logo appears again at the bottom of the screen and then dissappears.
    After several minutes of waiting and no game showing up, I close origin and a warning appears "are you sure you want to close origin with the sims still open?" (it does it in my language so it's not an accurate translation here)
    I don't know my video memory, (I have tried every option in the combo box but no one works)
    I have a laptop Vaio Pro 13 with ubuntu 16.04 and the ubuntu details say my graphics are IntelĀ® Haswell Mobile. PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
    And the video drivers appear to be installed correctly because I can use Blender perfectly.
    Thank you in advance for your help!
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you have everything setup correctly... Can you play any other games in PlayOnLinux?
    There is a chance you don't have the 32-bit libraries installed for Ubuntu. They used to be available as a single package, but Ubuntu does not support them any more. Since Sims 3 is a 32-bit application, you will need those installed.

Here is how they can be installed:
    Launch Terminal
    Copy/paste
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
    Press Enter

copy/paste
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Press Enter

Last...
    copy/past
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libasound2:i386 libasound2-plugins:i386 libfontconfig1:i386 lib32nss-mdns libgnutls26:i386 libxslt1.1:i386 libxcursor1:i386 libxcomposite1:i386 libosmesa6:i386 libopenal1:i386 libmpg123-0:i386 libldap-2.4-2:i386 liblcms2-2:i386 libgstreamer0.10-0:i386 libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0:i386 libgsm1:i386 libxinerama1:i386 libxi6:i386 libv4l-0:i386 libsane:i386 libudev1:i386 libxml2:i386 libcups2:i386 libxrandr2:i386 libice6:i386 libsm6:i386
    Press Enter

Then restart to be sure
    Now Try Sims 3 again...