1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange behavior-automatic startup--unbidden.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cloasters, Feb 4, 2018.

1. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Once in a blue moon my machine boots up after I put the little dust cover on it. This piece of plastic simply covers the top fans in the box, in aid of less dust inside.

I wait at least an hour after shutting down before I put this dust cover on. I've always let the bahstage complete booting (after this surprise boot) before I shut it down again via software.

The last time it happened I simply "leaned" on the power button to achieve shutdown. Not smart. Next boot I was presented with messages that at first let me think it was all over for this box or its software. But a bit later I saw the screen that essentially said "Press F10 to continue booting." This worked and I had a normal boot after complying. Whew!

So I will always let the booger boot and I'll shut it down normally in the future, after this automatic surprise startup happens. I don't have "sleep" or anything else that's similar enabled. But I do have "please reboot after a power failure on the mains" enabled.
    Any clue? Thank you!
  2. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Very odd indeed.

I'd turn off the reboot on power failure option. There's no need to have it on a desktop machine, and that MIGHT be playing into your issue. More likely, IMO, is that your dust cover is developing some static that is discharging into your case and causing the power button to think it has been pressed. If that is indeed the case, I've got to wonder if your system is being properly grounded through your power cord.
    booman likes this.
  3. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you for your suggestions, Gizmo! I was mistaken, restart after a mains failure was not selected. Sone a beetch, bad grounding in the power socket? Just what nobody needs. Maybe the power strip has bad grounding, even though it's new and wasn't a low end one. Not enough wall plugs in this thirty five year old building.
    Can't think of a way to ground the fan cover. Maybe I'll push the little thing firmly against the case before I power down. Oh, wait. If the box is improperly grounded that won't work.
    Thanks again.
  4. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    You can also check the Power Options for USB in the UEFI/BIOS
    I have a desktop that is super super super sensitive to mouse movements and it would wake up instantly. So annoying because I would put it to sleep and it would wake right up.

There is a slight chance maybe bumping the desk would cause it to power up via USB
  5. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you for your help Booman!
    I hope that isn't the cause of the problem, truth be told I have no desire whatsoever to enter the UEFI zone. Can't remember how to, and I'm not gonna belabor the fantastically helpful good people on the board with another cloasters problem that requires them to help me. Bumping the case hard doesn't cause the issue. I hope that rules out a gentle bump being the culprit. Thank you again!
  6. porporme

porporme Member

I think the other help you have gotten is more likely.but I'll throw this out for you to consider.
    I have a similar case with a plastic cover over the top vent. I had to remove it to mount the radiator for the liquid cooler.Putting the cover bak on restrict air flow out of the case-through the radiator- and temps go up so I leave it off.Possibility for you?
  7. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

That "magic mystery" startup happened again early this AM. I discovered that it's important to sit down and type in the password and wait for the machine to finish booting--before shutting it down the slow and careful way. Holding the power button in makes for a weird and scary startup the next time.

I think Gizmo nailed the problem. It bites to have inadequate grounding in either the power strip or the wall plug itself. If it's the builder's fault--you suck! If it's mine, top quality power strips cost a lot!

The case has a steel small holed "gridwork" above the two top 150's.
    I have caught myself dismembering to remove that little plastic top cover. This is really embarrassing if it's for more than a few minutes! Maybe twice I've run the booger for more than an hour this way. The shame, it burns. Funnily enough it makes very little difference in the case and proc temps. The temp is probably hotter in the summer, but we have nine months of winter in my neighborhood. The removable little fan cover isn't air tight by any means. I always install too many fans, but the beauty of the 150mm's is that they are so much quieter than 120's. Not to mention 80mm's, boy did they scream!

Thanks for your suggestion!
  8. porporme

porporme Member

I had 2ea 240mm fans at the top of my 2nd rig-they are to big-create a harmonic that will drive you bonkers. I'll look for a couple of 150's next month.
  9. porporme

porporme Member

No work on either rig under the Influence! to much danger of a royal screw up!
  10. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I didn't know that 240mm fans existed. Sounds like using only one of them is smart, wouldn't enjoy a flippin' harmonic!

Under the influence, oh to be skipping through a field of flowers, madly in love with a good and toothsome woman! Seems like being madly in love becomes less likely with age. Or at least it requires a lot more thought and patience before it's possible. And no skipping, you can't to that with superannuation. Argh!

Sure used to like the other kind of under the influence. I swam in a sea of alcohol for about three years. Very fortunately it lost its appeal (with a LOT of help) long ago. I am very lucky about that. Because I had Hep C and didn't know it. I certainly understand its appeal, and am not proof against it's re-occurrence. Wish I could say I was. And I could probably pick up a cig pretty darn easily. Those addictions are longer lasting than I wish they were! Like many other facets of life--they are not fair I tells ya! Glad you stay out of your computer when necessary, sounds like a very smart policy.

I hope I didn't exceed the boundaries of propriety here. What's worse than a totally unqualified person preaching? Eep.
  11. porporme

porporme Member

I'm glad those days are over. No one told me that you can't receive mail in a camper shell on the back of a pick-up. those were the good ol'days?
    I am nervous of the pain killers I am taking-I know how tempting those little rascals can be. One last comment and back to computers.I am basically in the same boat as yourself, including Hep C.
    I am a firm believer that a person that has fought those nastiest to a draw has the right to crow a little.
    Fans might be 220mm ( I've forgotten) Biggest ones I've seen and they wobble.2 of them Came with the case.I have both of them disconnected
    This is on my dedicated rig.
  12. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I'm happy to read that you have a dedicated machine. But I don't understand what that really means. Duh cloasters. I think por por me means his rather screaming folding rig. Those giant fans actually wobble? Weird, or maybe that's normal. Don't want any after the sterling review you kindly provided.

I'm glad that I haven't had to live in a camper shell. Knew a man that did, long ago. Gettin' toasted in there was kinda nice.
    Then stumbling back to my GF's Puegeot 403 station wagon(with the hidden gas cap underneath the left hand tail light) and sleeping almost soundly on a hill far above Tiburon Ca.
    Gosh, that was a long time ago!! 48 years. I was homeless for a short time later in life, fwiw.

Been clean and sober for more than twenty five years. Quit smoking four years ago. These both required a lot of help. Thank goodness that it was there for me! Even cured my Hep-C! Woo, very un-fun eleven months. About a quarter of the way to chemo sickness. Lost 52 lbs, was that a bonus or what? Thank you Department of Veteran's Affairs! Putting my butt on the line turned out to be a great blessing in the long run. I believe in Medicare for everyone. It will save billions every year. Let it happen Democrats. Leave some of that pile of cash from the powers that be on the table. Please!

Now that you mention it, ahem. I was given a small pile of oxycodone as I left the Same Day ward for any bad pain after the hernia surgery. Sheeite, I was at a solid 7 on the 1 to 10 scale as I was helped out the door. I was given some of those "just squeeze for cold" bags. It helped considerably. Pity that I couldn't get more than one to work. Not sure why. Some of them are duds, which is usual. I follow the directions. Who knows.

So I'm guilty, I've taken some serious narcotics after surgeries. Those things are addictive as hell, no doubt. Have and are taking them per the prescription. In fact, using a good deal less than ordered to per the scrip. cloasters, you're no freakin' hero! Thank every Member for allowing me to ramble on about not strictly computer and related stuff!
  13. porporme

porporme Member

Having a dedicated rig isn't as grand as it sounds. I have two computers. #1 is the one I use daily for regular use. I use it for folding as well.
    #2 just folds. 24/7. It's just dedicated to folding.
  14. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Having a machine that's dedicated to Folding is a good thing! Hope the Folding people say thanks once in a while. Thank you.