1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam update breaks wine compatability for all games again!

Discussion in 'WINE' started by steve723, Jun 6, 2014.

1. steve723

steve723 Member

Remember the end of last year when you couldn't play a single windows game until the wine devs figured out how to get Steam games working? Well now you can have fun all over again with version 2 of the fun fiasco! LOL. I just got Civilization 5 to work well and now good old Valve has to go and throw a monkey wrench into the works. Yes I did try to run a bunch of Steam for Windows games to make sure it is all Windows games. Unfortunately this affects all games. Somebody go get 'Scotty', we need a miracle worker.
  2. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    This is exactly why most folks just give up on Linux; sometimes quickly, and sometimes after a while. And it's not just in the gaming area. I see this all the time in Gentoo; someone upstream pushes an update for some commonly used library and it breaks practically everything else in the dependency tree. You have to constantly fool around with the compiler and the use flags after updates. You sometimes have to wonder if/how the updates are tested at all. For example, I have not been able to compile mesa for the last two version numbers due to a similar scenario.

I know they can't emulate every possible combination of hardware and software, but sometimes it can be frustrating. Those of us who don't mind the occasional breakage (like me) also don't mind finding a workaround, or writing a patch, but we are in the minority, I'm sure. After it happens often enough, the rest just say 'screw it,' and go back to Windows, where all of this stuff 'just works.'
  3. steve723

steve723 Member

Yes but I refuse to be another Microsoft drone. I'll stick with Linux were I have a lot more freedom. Besides using Linux and other open source software saves a lot of money that can be used for other things. Anyway its fun to figure out how to get the computer to do things very close to the way the user decides and not be forced to do things they way some one else tells you you have to do it. I get so tired of Microsoft and Google trying to tell me how I must live and do things.
  4. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    You're preaching to the choir, but it doesn't change the fact that most folks aren't like you/us. 'Just works' is a very powerful selling point.
  5. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I'll test it tonight Steve. I have been staying away from Steam for a while know because of problems like this.
    How ironic because I finally thought I would give Steam a try again and now this?
    I just posted a guide on Tomb Raider and it worked fine this week. But the other night I was playing offline...

I checked WineHQs and PlayOnLinux forum but nobody posted anything except on 5/30/2014
  6. booman

Home page:
    We all know Windows isn't much better. Most of the time it works fine (cause you are paying for it) but I've read many-a-post about Windows crapping out on them.
    We know that any operating system can still have bugs and breaks. I thought Mac was a full-proof "just works" but when those macs get old, everything stops working, so you have to buy a new one. As with Windows and even old PC's with Linux on it.

Most people live the theory of "I will by a new device because it will work better, then when it doesn't, I'll replace it with another new one".
    I can't afford to do that, hence why I don't own a Mac and why I'm moving away from Windows. Most people aren't as patient as I am with computers, but if you don't have the money to upgrade or replace it, then you have no choice but to wait and research.

Then again most people are just using their phones these days.

Everyone else who wants "High Quaity" games on their TV or PC needs a console or desktop.
    I'm here to help those people by showing them Linux can do a lot of games like Windows, but there are a few more steps & troubleshooting. It costs a lot less and sometimes can cost nothing by reviving an older computer.
    Its never perfect, but you will save money and spend more time learning about your computer and operating system.
    If you aren't interested, then you probably aren't reading this right now because you are on facebook with your phone.
    :p
  7. booman

Home page:
    Tried Steam and Tomb Raider this morning. There was a tiny update, but the game ran fine.
    I will try again tonight or tomorrow to make sure.
  8. steve723

steve723 Member

i discovered I could go to the Steam apps>common>Civ5 directory and run the Launch file directly so Maybe its just a POL short cut thing. I tried removing the POL short cut and making a new one but I still have to launch from the directory.
  9. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    I've tested several of my Steam games after the Steam update, and I have not experienced any change. Everything works just as before.

Does this problem only affect one of your virtual drives, or all?
  10. booman

Home page:
    Hmm, very strange indeed. Check your debug and see if there is anything "notable" that may give a clue why it won't launch any games. What version of Wine are you using?
  11. steve723

steve723 Member

I tried several versions of wine including 1.7.19.
  12. booman

Home page:
    Not cool... do you think there was an update on your distro that may have messed with Wine, PlayOnLinux or python?
    Show us that debug ;)