1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for booman about playonlinux games

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by batmanm0b1e, Mar 8, 2018.

1. batmanm0b1e

batmanm0b1e Active Member

When you grab a windows game how do you know which DLL's to get to run the game? I would like to know.

Also if these games can be run http://icarus.nexon.net/en
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Sorry, Riders of Icarus is one of those games that will not run because of anti-cheat software.
    Wine isn't compatible with the anti-cheat software, so the game will never launch.

I tested Riders of Icarus and never got past the launcher/updater client. So I had to play it in Windows. Its been a while, so I don't mind trying to download and play it again with Wine 3.3 or a "staging" version.

As for DLLs and overrides...
    1. The best way to see what a game requires is to search the Wine HQ's database
    2. Search the game folder for redist or system directories
    3. Steam games have a .vdf script that lists which packages need to be installed
    4. Other games have them right in the root folder of the game
    The most common DLL's required are:
    • corefonts
    • d3dx9
    • d3dx10
    • d3dx11
    • dxfullsetup
    • directx9
    • dotnet40
    • physx
    • tahoma
    • vcrun2005
    • vcrun2008
    • vcrun2010
    • vcrun2012
    • vcrun2015 (requires manual installation)
    The vcrun's depend on the year the game was made. Also any game made with UDK or Unreal engine normally require dotnet40. If you are lucky, the game won't require any DLL's and will run with the installed versions during the game installation.
    I recommend installing most DLL's before you install the game. The reason is because some games require DLL's just to install. Most done, but there are a few that wouldn't even install for me.

GOG is the best because almost every game I have purchased works without any client or updater. Just install, add some packages and play.
    batmanm0b1e likes this.
  3. batmanm0b1e

batmanm0b1e Active Member

Cool Thanks, this helps a lot :) Where is the steam .vdf at do you have to install game first. I have looked at Wine HQ Database and people do not put how they install or what DLL used sometimes which i think should be mandatory
  4. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    With Steam start by downloading the game. Then go to the game folder:
    • Windows Steam - /home/username/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/gamename/drive_c/Steam/steamapps/common/game
    • Linux Steam - /home/username/.local/Steam/steamapps/common/game
    Normally there is some kind of .vdf file with a script that lists some of the required packages.

WineHQs used to have a lot of comments for each game, but they did a revamp of the whole website and now a lot of comments are disabled.
    It still has a lot of information from tests. So I normally go there first.
    batmanm0b1e likes this.