1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PoL error during installation of GOG games

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by Marlhin, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Marlhin

Marlhin Member

Now that Manjaro is running pretty well I have started installing games via PoL. But the problem is that I always recieve the same error with every GOG game I try to install.
    Here is a screenshot with the error. The message only appears at the end of the installation.
    I tried to install HoMM III with the guide here on this forum.

http://abload.de/image.php?img=bildschirmfoto-25.04.dnjcb.png
  2. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    If you followed my guide, that means you did install the gdiplus library, correct? Just want to double check.

Other possible solutions could be missing 32-bit libraries if you are running Manjaro 64-bit. My first suggestion would be to make sure you install gdiplus as part of the installation process.

There are two other things you can try. One is to simply use a 64-bit wine version and see if that changes anything. If you are missing some lib32 packages, then choosing a 64-bit wine version should be an alternative to installing required lib32 packages.

You can also try to copy the game installer into the virtual drive. Then make a PoL shortcut to the installer from the 'Configure' section. Just make sure you have selected the virtual drive first. Then add the argument /nogui

nogui.png

Then run it from the shortcut to be able to install it without the GOG GUI and instead just a general installer window. This solves problems with several GOG games.

I will do a reinstall myself of this game tomorrow to check how things work on my end, if perhaps something has changed recently. You could also simply try a different wine version, newer or older if you wish.
  3. Marlhin

Marlhin Member

Thank you a lot for your fast answer! As I followed your guide I choose gdiplus before the installation. The wine version is 1.7.6.

How can I check that gdiplus is installed correctly?

And how can I check which 32bit libs may be missing?

Later I will try a 64bit Wineversion and if this won't work I will try to copy the installer to the virtual drive.
  4. Marlhin

Marlhin Member

Ok, I can't use a 64bit wine version. After the installation of wine 1.7.17 64bit I can't chose this right before the installation of the GOG game. So I tried to use 1.7.17 32bit but the same error. When I click OK the installation process freezes and I have to kill it.
  5. Daerandin

Home page:
    Okay, I just tested myself a new install using wine version 1.7.17 and I get no errors with both 32-bit wine and 64-bit.

I will try to clear up a bit how you install games using a 64-bit virtual drive. First you should ensure you have both the 32-bit and 64-bit of the same wine version. PlayOnLinux only displays your 32-bit wine versions when you install, so you need to have both variants installed to be able to choose it. You check that you have it installed from Tools --> Manage Wine versions in PlayOnLinux

When you do a custom install, and you reach the wine selection window, select the wine version you want to use

wine_select1.png

Then when you click Next, you should see this window

wine_select2.png

And now you can choose to use 64-bit. The rest of the installation process will be just as normal. There is one thing to note though. During the installation of libraries for wine, PlayOnLinux will complain that the signature of the install script is not verified. I suppose this comes from the fact that they don't use 64-bit wine in their scripts so they probably don't support it. Just click that you accept the risks and proceed with the install.

Manjaro is similar to Arch, so I am guessing you may be missing some 32-bit libraries. The best way to check is to see if 64-bit wine works. I am assuming that 64-bit wine will use the normal 64-bit libraries on your system.

Knowing which you may be missing can be difficult. The first and most obvious choices are graphics driver, which you will need for everything anyway. If you're using nvidia, then the lib32-nvidia-libgl package should suffice there.

Otherwise there could be a multitude of packages you might need. I have already installed several apps and many apps pull in lib32-packages as dependencies. I did a little check here, and I have a total number of 84 lib32 packages installed on my Arch system, but only 5 of those have been explicitly installed by the, the rest installed as dependencies. Those I have installed myself are:
    • lib32-alsa-plugins
    • lib32-fakeroot
    • lib32-flashplugin
    • lib32-libpulse
    • lib32-nvidia-libgl
    If you are interested seeing all lib32 packages I have installed on my current system, I have them in a text file attached to this post. Note that you probably don't need all, but I am admittedly at a bit of a loss as to what you might need.

Hopefully your problem is not more complicated than this, but if you're still having problems don't hesitate to post.

Attached Files:

6. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Thank you for explaining (in detail) how to use 64-bit Wine in a 64-bit virtual desktop.

Maybe I should do a short guide on downloading 32-bit and 64-bit Wine and how to use them in their respective virtual drives?
  7. Marlhin

Marlhin Member

Thank you very much for your very detailed post!

Finally it worked! I've successfully installed Battle Realms with Winter of the Wolf and the game runs pretty well! Maybe I'll write a guide on how to install the game via POL...

But I encountered a little issue. When I have started a game and I don't move the mouse for about 5 sec the mouse freezes and I cannot move it until I left-click. Then the mouse starts moving again. I don't really know why this issue happen...
    I also have worries about a 64-bit installation of a virtual drive. Maybe there will be some problems with games which don't support 64-bit.
    Regarding to the 32-bit libs, I checked my system and I've already installed the lib32-intel-dri drivers but I would it be a bad idea to install the 32bit mesa drivers?
  8. Marlhin

Marlhin Member

I've noticed that the mouse problem also exists when I am at the desktop, so the game runs great! ;)
  9. Daerandin

Home page:
    Having more guides here would definitely be great.

You didn't mention it in your post so I'll just have to ask, is Heroes 3 working as well? There should be no problems as games don't need to support 64-bit in order to run with 64-bit wine.

You should definitely have 32-bit mesa as well.

The mouse issue sounds odd. I have only heard of this issue when using laptop-mode-tools which is using some sort of USB autosuspend feature. It could also possibly be caused by a wireless mouse that enters powersaving state when not moved for a while.
  10. Marlhin

Marlhin Member

HoMM III works perfectly! I've also installed the general patch, HD mod, Superfix Common and HotA. But it won't start HotA via the HD_launcher...-.-

The mesa driver is already installed and I could figure out the problem with my mouse. I use a script to deactivate my touchpad when a USB-mouse is plugged in. There were some conflicts which led me to delete this script. Not it works ;)
    Thanks for your help!
  11. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Hell yeah! We would love to. Have more guides here!
    If you can follow our structure, post it in the games forum and I'll move it to the guides forum