1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW! Crossover 12.0.0!

Discussion in 'Crossover' started by Daniel~, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Those who were the fortunate beneficiaries of Crossovers gift of software a month or so ago already know of Codeweavers generosity in giving away their very best to encourage the Vote in the last election.

This could have stopped there and everyone would have benefited. They would have increased awareness of their product which can magically make many Windows applications run for real under Linux by way of their Crossover emulation layer.

We would have been encouraged in our desire to vote and perhaps been introduced to Crossover for the first time.

But they didn't stop there. If you sighed up for and received a free copy of Crossover last month... This month you need to upgrade it.

Now I've seen this before! A dev gives away their software right before it's time to upgrade. You install it and find out that time has passed it by or is about to. Then comes the friendly invitation to upgrade to "THE NEWEST VERSION".

Not a bad way to advertise your software, let people know what it can do for them and then induce them to help pay for all that R&D that makes code like Crossover possible. So no tears when I got the notice that 12.0.0 had just been released and that I should update my Crossover software.

My copy would do me for a lest a year... But then then things started moving and my eyes couldn't quite lock on to the next line in their missive...

They started listing improvements, added features, redesign of the interface, a complete remake of their software!
    Things like:

"This release also includes more than 5,000 individual changes to
    Wine, meaning there are numerous improvements in how your favorite
    applications will run under CrossOver. Applications with improved
    support include the Microsoft Office suite, various Quicken
    versions, and many of your favorite games. New in CrossOver 12 are
    official support for Quicken 2013; support for the popular game
    World of Tanks; and, on Linux, support for Guild Wars 2."

I read on to see just how outdated my "free" copy was about to become!!

I wasn't bitter! I knew the score! They have to make their money if they want to survive...it just came a bit sooner than I expected! Bottom line..."There's no such thing as a free lunch!"

So their I am. Starting to wonder if I should go for the upgrade. I want to explore Linux Gaming. I have but a few tools with which a person of my meager knowledge can approach the task.

There's "Winetricks", an emulation layer closely related to Wine and delver with each new vintage as it is uncorked.
    Then there is a personal favorite, "PlayOnLinux". It offers a more refined approach and a much wider selection of windows games that it can support in Linux.

And finally Crossover.
    Crossover delivers a much wider verity of software. More focused upon Windows more practical applications, Office applications Quicken and the like.

But Crossover has a large community support group that more or less tags along with Crossover's professional offerings. The Crossover community supports a large number of popular games as recent as 2011 but generally two to three years behind the Commercial gaming markets.

So If I'm going to understand and support Linux gaming, I should have a recent copy of one of my primary tools... There's the rub...tools cost money even in Free Linux they come free as does PlayOnLinux and Winetricks.

And is always the case with Linux apps they come very good and not so much....

Crossover is very good at what it does as is PlayOnLinux... Yet PlayonLinux is much beholden to Crossover as is wine herself...

So I need to upgrade at a really bad time for me... the room has stabilize a bit and my eyes are tracking better now that I have accepted my fate..the money will have to come from some where...While I'm trying to think of just where that might be my eyes reach the bottom line...there's always a bottom line, that's what they teach us right? There's always a bottom line...?

" If CrossOver 12 asks you for registration credentials, use the same
    email and password which you used to purchase CrossOver from
    <http://www.codeweavers.com>. If you have any trouble, email
    [email='info@codeweavers.com]'info@codeweavers.com[/email]' for help.

Crossover is upgrading my free copy...for free.

GamersOnLinux welcomes you to and thanks Codeweavers for the free lunch.

When we sit down with Linux... we should say grace for the free lunch we are about to receive And remember the day Codeweavers freed us for a while from the bottom line.
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Thats great! You have been on quite an adventure!
    Please post your results with Crossover and which versions of Wine they are supporting.
    I'm curious how soon the release an update to support newer versions of Wine?

As for me, I'm sticking with PlayOnLinux. It seems to serve all of my Gaming needs with a very low rate-of-failure.
    But I won't rule out anything for good!
    i may mess with Winetricks and/or Crossover for that certain game that doesn't want to run in Linux.
    Crysis! Yes you!
    Apparently Crysis doesn't run in Crossover or PlayOnLinux at all
  3. Daniel~

Home page:
    Crysis One is a complete no go for me no matter how I come at it. Crysis 2 will play quite well...then crash, play quite well, then crash.../I crashed my way though around a 1/4 of the game. It just looks and plays so well you think it would never crash and then it crashes.":O}

I'm still just nibbling around the edges of Crossover. I have gotten games like Borderlands and Ghost Recon to run quite well.
    But yeah, POL remain Queen of the May. POL simply pulls down more games and plays them better than Wine tricks or Crossover.

But what Crossover does, she does quite well. It still hit and miss. You try one thing it works, but it fails with the next game, you try something else.

For the beginner looking for an early success to give them confidence in what we are doing, PlayOnLinux remains the place to start when you really want to succeed.
  4. booman

Home page:
    I can't exactly remember, but doesn't crossover have display and mouse tweaks like PlayOnLinux?
    Can you install Windows components for Crossover or does it do the download & installs automatically?

Have you been able to play a Direct X 10 game on Crossover?
  5. Daniel~

Home page:
    Yes you can install Win compensates to a "Bottle" I'm not sure if you can add compensates that Crossover doesn't list as do able.
  6. booman

Home page:
    I"m going to look up DirectX 10 on WineHQ and see what results people are getting.
    If no one is having any success then it continue to be a waiting game.

I remember "bottles" in Crossover. I think those are the equivalent to Virtual Drives in PlayOnLinux.
    But I never tried setting one up. It would be nice if Crossover automatically installed the necessary Windows packages for you.
    That would make things really easy.
  7. Daniel~

Home page:
    They do when it's a Crossover supported game.Well, they install them for you like POL basic package that you can then add to for a supported game.

When it's a "Community supported" game (Not the same as the Codeweavers Crossover supported games) You can download the per-tested (By the Crossover community) ingredients for the games Bottle (yes the same as a virtual drive in POL).

But I haven't done this yet as you have to have the game they support and so far I haven't.

But without the community's support I've gotten a few non-listed games to run at time very well.
  8. booman

Home page:
    Interesting. Still kinda like PlayOnLinux.
    Since you are paying Crossover they will guarantee their supported games to run.
    Other games aren't supported but the community works on tweaking them just like PlayOnLinux.

What I do like is the $$ towards Crossover goes to Wine development.
  9. Daniel~

Home page:
    From what I gather big chunks of their code goes toward helping wine out as well!
    (gathered from Gizmo":O}
  10. booman

Home page:
    maybe that is why Wine is updating more than Crossover?
    Crossover was stuck with old reliable 1.4.1 for a long time.
  11. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    I suspect Crossover updates less frequently because they are shooting more for stability.
  12. booman

Home page:
    That seems to be the case in the past. You would think they would be able to do more testing since they have some partnership with WineHQ. They could test the new Wine versions with old games that already worked.

I'm sure they have a 4 Terabyte hard drive with 100+ games installed... then just change the Wine version and launch.... change wine version launch... change Wine version launch... on and on
  13. Daniel~

Home page:
    Crossover has to have more stability! They support Windows Business apps that POL doesn't even look at.
  14. booman

Home page:
    We'll see...
    Winetricks and PlayOnLinux do have a few Windows programs on the list, but I havn't tried them yet.
    Well thats not true, I did install Sketchup and it ran beautifully