1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install Linux

Discussion in 'Installing Linux' started by ChristopherValenti12, Jul 27, 2018.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    No problem!
    Just wish I could get email notifications from all the posts... Then I would respond sooner
  2. cloasters

cloasters Well-Known Member

I've never noticed any delay in your response. Sorry that you are not notified properly.
  3. cloasters

Anyone know how to get the screensaver right in Mint Cinnamon 19.1? I would appreciate a hand here.
  4. cloasters

Hate to display the ignorance, but how do I install VLC Media Player, please? I downloaded a tar.xz for VLC Media Player--but don't know how to "DeTar" it and install it. I think Mint 17.3 came with it installed or installed it easily.

With Mint 19.1 Cinnamon I dunno how to install it. Please help!
    The Media Player that I have doesn't work worth a hoot. It asked me to search for something marked as a BAD choice. WTH?

I installed the "bad choice" but avoided the ""worse choice.""
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019 at 9:01 AM
  5. cloasters

VLC seems to be a bridge beyond attainability. Sure would love some help with this everyone! Being able to watch DVD's on my PC is important because Mr Sun can play meanly when I want to see a DVD on my big tv.

At this point I'm contemplating a Mint 17.3 installation just to watch DVD's with. Maybe having that old Mint 17.3 would be easiest on its own SSD? Maybe.

Seems like a step backward though.

Mint 19.1 does NOT play fair With VLC Media Player. And the built in so called Media Player is plain useless.

Help needed all y'all. I've worked on this problem for days but simply can't install VLC Media Player. It would be a cinch to install as it's already an "easy" install. If only.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 7:43 AM
  6. Kaitain

Kaitain Member

Mint's USP originally was to make it easy to install media codecs (less significant as the most common are now out of patent), the Cinnamon desktop (now repackaged and made available on other distros, from Arch to Ubuntu), and simpler driver installation (which other distros now also do) there's no real reason to cling to it.

I played with various distros before going back to Gentoo, and was pleasantly surprised with all of them. While I might not always like everything about them, it's no longer a case of some distros simply failing to install* or being bad, wrong and stupid once running, so much as whether the minor differences between how I want the system to work, and how it actually works, are tolerable. For me, this means Gentoo, as I then have the flexibility to close that gap between expectation and reality. For you, maybe another system - if you're still KDE-minded, consider KDE Neon.
  7. cloasters

Thank you very much for your suggestion Kaitain. I used to like KDE a lot. But it's been many years so I'm now trepidatious about the change.
  8. cloasters

Can anyone recommend a Media Player program that will let me see my DVD player in Mint Cinnamon 19.1?
    Used to love VLC but a substitute would be great.