1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F**K Facebook

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by Gizmo, May 19, 2014.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    So I was on Facebook the other day, mucking about with my own stuff, then went over to the GOL page and did some maintenance stuff there. Logged out, thought I was done.

Went to login a few minutes later and I'm greeted with this:

"Someone May Have Logged Into Your Account

In order to keep your information secure, we've locked your account. Before we can unlock it, please verify your identity and change your password.
    Your account will remain hidden until you complete this process.
    "

Press the "Continue" button, and it says that a confirmation code has been sent to my phone. So far so good.

But the confirmation code never shows up. So I do it again. Same deal. Well, I've seen texts take a while to come through, so I wait until the next day. Same routine. Rinse and repeat.

In the mean time, I'm looking around on Facebook's website for something, ANYTHING suggesting how I might, I dunno, maybe EMAIL someone? Nope, nothing, nada.

So I go back, try the 'Lost password' thing. Sure enough, I get a reset code to my email, use that, reset my password, now I'm back at the "Someone May Have Logged Into Your Account" thing. So I try "Text me a code to reset my password". That never comes through. So then I follow the "No longer have access to these?" link, which, wonder of wonders, allows me to send a confirmation code to a DIFFERENT phone number (wait, so in principle I could hijack someone's account by texting a password reset code to another phone? Interesting....). So I have it send a text to my wife's phone, and lo and behold, that actually shows up. So I follow that, except that it keeps telling me that I have to follow the link using the phone that it was sent to. <I DID! HOW THE FSCK DO YOU THINK I GOT HERE?!>

So then, as a last resort, I read the Ts & Cs, which talk about locked accounts and what you've got to do if you want to appeal. I go to the page that allows you to start the appeal process, and it wants some kind of proof of identity, preferably as a jpg. Ok, I'm not wild about this, but under the circumstances, fine. I provide a scanned copy of my driver's license and my social security card.

AND THE F*****G FORM REFUSES TO LET ME SUBMIT!

ARGHHHH!!!!!

So, once again I say F**K FACEBOOK!

(Those of you that know me know that such language is not part of my normal repertoire. To say I'm upset at the way I'm being treated is putting it mildly.)

I use the thing once every three or four months AT BEST. If this is an example of the quality of their software development process and security practices (remember, I can reset an arbitrary account by sending a reset code to a phone I control), I don't WANT to be on their user list.

Anyone that wants to contact me can use something reliable, like maybe email, or perhaps tin cans and string (both of which are still more reliable that what I've experienced with facebook).
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Wow, what the heck is going on with Facebook?
    This must be a result of all the NSA crap and how Facebook is trying to protect your privacy.
    On almost any site, all you have to do is click "reset password" and you will get an email. Done!

I bet you can't even go and delete the GamersOnLinux page if you wanted to...
    Its not a big deal... I can keep posting as myself
    We only have 45 likes, but I was hoping to grow that as we add more guides.

Don't waste any more precious time on Facebook. When you have leisure time (which is probably never) go ahead and mess with it.
    Thanks for trying at least...
  3. danrok

danrok Administrator Staff Member

Same thing happened to me earlier today.
  4. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    You know what.... it finally worked!
    I don't know why and I didn't change anything, but I finally got the admin page.
    So I'm good now!
  5. danrok

danrok Administrator Staff Member

OK, good!