1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Escape from Tarkov

Discussion in 'Games' started by booman, Jan 15, 2016.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Escape from Tarkov is the hardcore and realistic online first-person action RPG/Simulator with MMO features and story-driven walkthrough.

There is a mention of Linux after PC & Mac: GamingOnLinux

• Story-driven scenario based walk-through as one of the multiplayer game-modes. Complete raids on large scale locations with your friends or alone.
    • Explore many of unique and authentic locations of Tarkov city and it’s suburbs: citizen blocks, chemical plant area, AA military base, the heart of Tarkov city, private living zone and others in real-time weather conditions and time of day changes.
    • Discover concealed locations - reserved facilities and stocks, sealed TerraGroup offices and underground warehouses.
    • Find useful information and items which will help to understand what is going on in the city.
    • Cooperate with ex-enemies, change the priorities to unfold the mysteries and escape from Tarkov alive.
    • Behold the system module HECS - Hazardous Environment Combat Simulator.
    • Feel your character via health and physical characteristics, including hydration, energy, blood pressure, bloodlosses, fractures, contusion, toxication, exhaustion, tremors and so on.
    • Control your character freely - smooth speed and stance changes and transitions, leaning and proning.
    • Be aware of real-life ballistics and projectile hit physics.
    • Get ready to feel the weapon as it is in real life. Get used to physical concepts of weapon operating - jamming, overheating, wearout, reloading, aiming, charging and, of course, shooting.
    • Discover the most advanced weapon modding system ever. Change everything you want to expand your weapon’s tactical abilities.
    • Interact with environment to gain situational domination - switch lights, commence tactical entry with door interaction system.
    Specs:

MINIMAL:
    Processor: dual-core processor 2.4 GHz (Intel Core 2 Duo, i3), 2.6 GHz (AMD Athlon, Phenom II)
    RAM: 6 GB
    Graphics Card: DX9 compatible graphics card with 1 GB memory
    Sound: DirectX compatible audio card
    Network: permanent connection to the Internet
    Disk space: from 8 GB

RECOMMENDED:
    Processor: quad-core processor 3.2 GHz (Intel i5, i7), от 3.6 GHz (AMD FX, Athlon)
    RAM: from 8 GB
    Graphics Card: DX11 compatible graphics card with 2 GB or more of memory
    Sound: DirectX compatible audio card
    Network: permanent connection to the Internet
    Disk space: from 8 GB

tarkov1.jpg

tarkov2.jpg

tarkov3.jpg
    tarkov4.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  2. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

Yeah, I saw the tek syndicate guys talking about this. Looks interesting.
  3. booman

Home page:
    It will probably never get a Linux port, but you never know. I can't even find what engine they are using...
  4. booman

Home page:
  5. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

That's good, but when studios say that they plan to release a Linux version of their game I chose to remain sceptical. There's been a lot of studios who have said that they plan a Linux release, but never actually got around to it.

Why that is, I don't know. But I suspect that it could have something to do with the libraries they chose to use for their games.
  6. booman

Home page:
    Yeah, I don't know if they initially plan to do the release and then run out of time or money because they always seem to do the Linux port last?
    I don't know if they just want extra hype to gain more players?
    Maybe they have full intentions of doing it but have only a single developer to do the port?
    There are so many Windows developers that know nothing about Linux...
    You would think developers who do Mac ports would have some Linux knowledge due to the common unixed based operating systems...
    I have a feeling its really about money and time. Linux gaming is new and small, so companies can't fork out the money when they can't guarantee profits.
  7. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

Yeah. I browsed through the Subnautica folder trying to get it to run in wine and saw a folder called "mono". If that is THE mono it means that they know what they are doing.

I don't understand why developers use librararies that more or less locks them to one platform and makes porting harder. There are plenty of good cross platform libraries out there.
  8. booman

Home page:
    Who knows...
    I bet its because that is the development process they are used to. Changing their work-flow can really slow down production. But its well worth doing multi-platform development in the long run.