1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Souls in Proton

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Feb 9, 2021.

• by booman, Feb 9, 2021 at 3:50 PM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Slay the minions of hell and then slay their masters in this 3rd person melee action game! Pick a class and a spiritual gift then explore the hellish lands where only tormented souls exist. Collect these souls and upgrade your weapons, armor and abilities in order to take on huge impossible beasts. You will die, but its not the end... continue with friends in the mysterious co-op summoning and rid this world of demonic presence laying waste to everything we know.

Dark Souls Prepare to Die edition is no longer available on Steam because there is now a Remastered edition. But if you still have the original, implement DSFix and enjoy a pre-remastered edition with all kinds of settings and features to make your experience high quality and detailed.

Honestly, Dark Souls is probably the most difficult game I've ever played! I've never finished it... in fact I've never killed the second boss between the towers. Its too hard and unforgiving. Every time you die or save the game every single minion re-spawns and you have to kill them again. Not to mention a single weak minion can kill you in a few remorseless hits. I really would love a difficulty setting or more save points in this game.

With Proton Dark Souls ran perfectly! There are a few hacks to make it run but once implemented my GeForce GTX 1060 handles everything set to high!

Steam Launch Options
    WINEDLLOVERRIDES="dinput8=n,b" %command%

Frozen at New Game
    Before you create your character, it is important to turn off the following:
    Anti-Aliasing = OFF
    Motion Blurr = OFF

Black Screen bug
    Cut-scenes will not work as they are using Windows Media format. So I just renamed the video folder and then the game will skip them

DSFix
    https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/19?tab=files

Extract the files to the Data folder in the Dark Souls game folder
    /home/booman/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition/DATA

Open DSfix.ini
    Adjust settings as needed for your computer. Some of the default settings will already improve the graphics in-game. Read the notes as well to be sure it won't crash or break your game.

Specs:
    Mint 19.3 64-bit
    GeForce GTX 1060
    Nvidia 460
    Proton 5.13-5

darksoul-0.jpg darksoul-2.jpg darksoul-4.jpg darksoul-5.jpg darksoul-6.jpg darksoul-9.jpg darksoul-12.jpg darksoul-13.jpg darksoul-14.jpg darksoul-15.jpg darksoul-16.jpg darksoul-18.jpg darksoul-19.jpg darksoul-20.jpg darksoul-21.jpg darksoul-22.jpg darksoul-24.jpg darksoul-25.jpg darksoul-26.jpg darksoul-28.jpg darksoul-29.jpg darksoul-30.jpg
  • Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Feb 9, 2021.