1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Champions Online (Free-to-play RPG)

Discussion in 'Games' started by booman, Aug 13, 2013.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Champions Online
    Made by the same Cryptic studios who also made Star Trek Online and Neverwinter.
    So chances are it should run in Wine just fine like the rest of them.
    Guide anyone?

Looks pretty cool, create your own hero and costume, customize your characters powers, and even create your own super villain.
    Massive worlds and lots of enemies/minions to smash!
  2. steve723

steve723 Member

Changes hu? Just say that due to complexity of the human brain one of your neurons misfired and made you type the wrong word. :D
  3. booman

Home page:
    Chances... thats funny... could have been worse: Choo Choo :confused:
  4. dem

dem Member

I tried it on windows, I found this game enjoyable. But I prefer City of Heroes for the graphics design, overall gameplay and french translation (even if I read english, I always enjoy to play a game in my own language).

It's also the first game I ran on linux "for real" (meaning I really played it, not only tested it for proof of concept). It ran very well (except the launcher I replaced with a python script I found on wine appdb).

On linux wine, I didn't achieve good results concerning framerate (ubuntu 12.04 64bit, athlon x2 64 2.2ghz, 4gb ram, nvidia gtx650ti 1gb ddr5). Otherwise, the game seemed to run well. I used the wine appdb infos to install it thru bare wine install (1.6).
  5. booman

Home page:
    Oh man, you have got to try it again with PlayonLinux. So much easier as you have already learned.
    Dude you have a nicer video card than me and our Linux distros are almost the same. So we should be having similar results besides the fact that you are running 64-bit and I'm running 32-bit.
    If you are going to keep playing a lot of games in Linux, I really really really recommend 32-bit. Since you only have 4 Gigs of RAM anyways, that should work perfectly.

I'm also using my first SSD hard drive and installing/loading is extremely fast!
  6. dem

dem Member

Do you think that 64bit linux make the gaming performance worst ? I didn't know that ?

Concerning this particular game performance, Champions (following wine appdb help) is a way slower on linux than on my testing windows drive (32bit windows xp).

I also think that processor is very important in Wine performance. My own is out dated. I have to update to the best I can as soon as possible !

Concerning the game itself, I believe it's the only super heroes alternative to City of heroes for now. I saw the other licensed games, but I didn't find the thing I loved in City of heroes. Champions is more similar, concerning the game "spirit".
  7. booman

Home page:
    I have no proof if 64-bit or 32-bit is better with performance. Since you have posted a lot of success already, it makes me think both should be equal. Obviously 64-bit can use more Memory.
    The main reason I recommend 32-bit is because I have tested over 100 PC games in Linux and have 80+ successful results.

I havn't actually played Champions yet, but plan to in the future. Does it have a cooperative mode where you can fight A.I. with your friends like in Neverwinter?
  8. dem

dem Member

I just played the intro quest, I'm only lv5 or so, so I can't be sure, but the game seems very PVE oriented, so I think it will be possible to group and make quests together.

Actually in the first intro quest, there is a big battle against aliens (really classic comics scenario, I appreciated it a lot) and you can group to fight the invasion.

Concerning performance, following ubuntu wine documentation, I see nothing wrong with 64bit system, but maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. Is there a ram limitation in linux 32bit, like on windows xp ?

By the way, tonight I found an used amd black edition 3.2ghz dualcore processor, with 2x1mb cache. The best I can put on my good old PC. Actuall, according to CPU world site, also the best behind Phenom processors range. It should kick *sses compared to my 2.2ghz 2x512k cache dualcore processor. I'll update my tests here once I'll receive it, of course.
  9. booman

Home page:
    Cool, yeah let us know if your performance is any better
  10. dem

dem Member

I hope it will be a lot better :)
  11. dem

dem Member

I'd like to make a try installing CO, but ARC (wich I installed when I installed Neverwinter) doesn't update the games list.

I probably have to reinstall arc ?
  12. booman

Home page:
    Are you talking about install Champoins Online in the same virtual drive where you install Neverwinter?
    You should be able to...
    Is there a way to search for games in Arc like you do in Steam?

Otherwise, try going to the Champions Online website, downloading Arc and installing it in the virtual drive again.
    Maybe it will see that Arc is already installed and then start installing Champions Online.
  13. dem

dem Member

Yes, it's what I was talking about ;)

Yes on ARC you can choose to install any perfect world edited game. Normally you have to click on library, or on the link bottom left (add game). But under linux it's not working.

I'll try what you suggest and come back here, thanks
  14. booman

Home page:
    Yes, please let me know what you find out... this is important because if we can install any Perfect World game in a single Virtual Drive would be very cool and easy to use.

I've had success like this with Source games and Steam. If one Source game works in a virtual drive, them most of them worked, but it HAD to be a Source game by Valve.
  15. dem

dem Member

I made several tries (installing champions by Arc on the same virtual drive than neverwinter) with no result. The games page of Arc is empty.

I also tried to reinstall arc (exe from champions website), no result too.

I'll try to create a new virtual drive.
  16. booman

Home page:
    The first time I installed Neverwinter with Arc both Star Trek Online and Neverwinter showed up on my list.
    See right here:
    [​IMG]
    So it is possible, but I'm not sure how... Should be automatic.
  17. dem

dem Member

I installed champions before on linux, using bare Wine version and Arc. I don't know how I did. But now, I can't do it. I tried several times, including creating a new virtual hard drive. Weird.

The arc games library appears empty. For neverwinter it was easier, since an advertisement popup appears automatically when you launch arc...
  18. booman

Home page:
    But now you are installing Champions Online and Neverwinter with PlayOnLinux, correct?
    Do you have that "Add games" link?
  19. dem

dem Member

Yes, Neverwinter is running following your guide. I cannot install champions with POL for the reasons I explained...I don't know what to do.

The add games link is here, but it does nothing. Neverwinter has been installed for the only reason an advertisement window appeared on top, when I launched Arc the first time ;)
  20. booman

Home page:
    Yup, that happend to me also.
    Guess the best way is to install Arc again in another virtual drive from the Champions Online download.
    Then Champions should automatically ask to be installed just as Neverwinter did.