1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Call of Juarez - Bound in Blood on PlayOnLinux

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by Kladiator, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

Probably not the most exciting game in the world, but someone could be interested to know that it works very well on POL.
    Well, to tell you the truth guys I only played for about 15 minutes, but everything was very smooth and without the slightest problem.

And here is the interesting part:
    I installed it using Wine version 1.7.5 with only d3dx9 added; like I said, it was working perfectly but
    without sound.
    Not knowing what to do (at WineHQ nobody reported this problem) I installed vcrun 2005 (POL complained that it was already present) and vcrun 2008: I have not the slightest idea if this action was useful or not, but at least it did no harm.
    Still no sound, though.

I was ready to remove the prefix, but first on the General Tab of POL configuration I changed the Wine version to 1.6, then to 1.5 and then 1.4 (always configuring Wine and simulating reboots) with no results.

Finally I changed to Wine version 1.3 and it works!:)

So if you like shooting Yankees with a revolver in the Civil War (at least at the start of the game)
    you know that you can use Call of Juarez on Linux!
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Wow 1.3 huh?
    That is an old Wine version. Its surprising what Wine works for which game.
    I just tested TimeShift over the weekend and it crashed no matter what Wine version I had selected and what libraries I installed.
    I looked back at the WineHQ's posts and someone posted "silver" with Wine 1.3 and ta-da it worked.
    Now its running GREAT!
    TimeShift actually has some decent graphics and physics.
    Its funny because I always expect newer games to run in newer versions of Wine.

Call of Juarez is a Source Engine game and should work with Wine 1.4
    I tested a bunch of Source games in 1.4 and they ran fine. Not sure whats going on with the audio.

How smoothly is it running?
  3. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

Since I had no expectations whatsoever (I had even forgot I owned the game), I was surprised how well it runs.

Having said that, my test was so short that I can't rule out future crashes or unexpected problems.
    I have so many games to play now (63!) that it is highly unlikely I will be able to use this one in the next few weeks or so (or maybe even longer).

Next tough, I will post some good news about MotoGP 2, an old but very enjoyable game.
  4. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Yeah, you may want to test it further just to be sure its running well.

MotoGP 2?
    Awesome! The more non-FPS games you test the better. I mostly have FPS & Action/RPG games than anything else.
    I do have MX vs ATV on PC. I could probably test it too, with a joystick