1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unreal Tournament 2004 Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by booman, Mar 13, 2015.

• by booman, Mar 13, 2015 at 12:34 PM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Unreal Tournament 2004 is the sixth installment of the Unreal series. Strictly a multi-player game, but includes vehicular warfare and state-of-the-art graphical engine with advanced lighting, high quality textures and ragdoll physics. Many games were created with Unreal Engine 2.5 such as America's Army.

unreal112.jpg

unreal102.jpg

Follow my step-by-step guide on installing, configuring and optimizing Unreal Tournament 2004 in Linux with PlayOnLinux.

Note: This guide applies to the Anthology & Retail versions of Unreal Tournament 2004. Other versions may require additional steps.

Tips & Specs:

To learn more about PlayOnLinux and Wine configuration, see the online manual: PlayOnLinux Explained

Mint 17 64-bit
    PlayOnLinux: 4.2.5
    Wine: 1.6.2

Wine Installation

Click Tools
    Select "Manage Wine Versions"
    wine01.png

Look for the Wine Version: 1.6.2
    Note: Try using stable Wine 1.8 and 1.8-staging

Select it
    Click the arrow pointing to the right
    wine02.png

Click Next

Downloading Wine
    wine04.png

Extracting

Downloading Gecko
    wine05.png

Installed
    wine06.png

Wine 1.6.2 is installed and you can close this window

PlayOnLinux Setup

Click Install
    unreal01.png

Click "Install a non-listed program"
    unreal02.png

Click Next

Select "Install a program in a newvirtual drive"
    Click Next
    unreal04.png

Name your virtual drive: unreal2004
    Click Next
    unreal05.png

Check all three options:
    • Use another version of wine
    • Configure Wine
    • Install some libraries

Click Next
    unreal06.png

Select Wine 1.6.2
    Click Next
    unreal07.png

Select "32 bits windows installation"
    Click Next
    unreal08.png

Wine Configuration

Applications Tab
    Windows version: windows 7
    Click Apply
    unreal09.png

Graphics Tab
    Check "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows"
    Check "emulate a virtual desktop"
    Desktop size: 1024x768

Click OK
    unreal10.png

Installing Packages (Components, Libraries, DLL's)

Check the following:
    • POL_Install_corefonts
    • POL_Install_dotnet40
    • POL_Install_dxfullsetup
    • POL_Install_tahoma
    • POL_Install_vcrun2010
    Click Next
    unreal11.png

Note: All packages automatically download and install

Installing Unreal Tournament 2004

Click "Select another file"
    Click Next
    unreal12.png

Click Browse
    unreal13.png

Navigate to the Unreal CD ROM
    Select Setup.exe
    Click Open
    unreal14.png

Note: I'm using the Unreal Anthology to install Unreal Tournament 2004. The original game may have a different executable

Click Next

Click Next
    unreal16.png

Check "I accept the terms..."
    Click Next
    unreal17.png

Enter the game KEY
    Click Next
    unreal18.png

Click Next
    unreal19.png

Check "Unreal Tournament 2004"
    Click Next
    unreal20.png

Note: This applies to the Anthology only

Click Install
    unreal21.png

Click Finish
    unreal22.png

PlayOnLlinux Shortcut

Select "UT2004.exe"
    Click Next
    unreal24.png

Name your shortcut: Unreal Tournament 2004
    Click Next
    unreal25.png

Click Next again

PlayOnLinux Configure

Back to PlayOnLinux
    Select Unreal Tournament 2004
    Click Configure
    unreal27.png

General Tab
    Wine version: 1.6.2
    unreal28.png

Note: Click the + to download other versions of wine. Click the down-arrow to select other versions of Wine.

Display Tab
    Video memory size: Enter the amount of memory your video card/chip uses
    unreal34.png

Close Configure

Launching Unreal Tournament 2004

Back to PlayOnLinux
    Select Unreal Tournament 2004
    Click Run
    unreal35.png

Note: Click Debug to see errors and bugs

Optimization

Click Settings
    unreal36.png

Click Display
    Adjust Resolution

Adjust Options:
    • Texture Detail
    • Character Detail
    • World detail
    • Physics Detail
    • Dynamic Mesh LOD
    • Decal Stay
    • Character Shadows
    • Decals
    • Detail Textures
    • Coronas
    • Trilinear Filtering
    • Projectors
    • Foliage
    • Weather Effects
    • Fog Distance
    unreal37.png

Rule of Thumb:
    High settings = More detail, lower frame rate
    Low settings = Less detail, higher frame rate

Conclusion:
    Unreal Tournament 2004 ran really well in PlayOnLinux. There were a few settings I had to lower in order to play smoothly on my GeForce 550 Ti at 1680x1050 resolution, but otherwise, it played GREAT!
    In the future I may create a guide for the native Linux version as well. For now, the installation was smooth and setup was easy.

Gameplay Video:

Screenshots:
    unreal100.jpg

unreal103.jpg

unreal104.jpg

unreal108.jpg

unreal111.jpg

unreal113.jpg

unreal105.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    Marlhin and mrdeathjr28 like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Guides' started by booman, Mar 13, 2015.

1. mrdeathjr28
    Excelent game , played over and over

:)
  2. Marlhin
    Oh childhood memories!
    Such a great game! I am already playing the pre-alpha of the new Unreal Tournament. I can highly recommend it because it is heavily community driven and although it is in pre-alpha state, it runs pretty stable and smooth! And you have the feel of UT99 and UT04. Even now it is better than UT3. But I am only testing it on Windows atm.
  3. allenskd
    As someone who got addicted to UT99(GOTY) I can't wait for the new F2P UT to come out.
  4. Marlhin
  5. allenskd
    It's out already? :eek: that was fast...
  6. Marlhin
    It is not out. It is in pre-alpha. But it is already playable. I have seen games which were fully released but unstable as hell. UT is in alpha but more stable than some AAA games which get released.
  7. booman
    Sadly I was too busy playing Battlefield 1942 those days. Never quite "got into" Unreal Tournament until Unreal Tournament 3. Today I still play 3 in my LAN Parties and a bunch of Mods. Hence my PlayOnLinux guide for UT3 and Mods
  8. Kladiator
    I have a couple of observations.

I tried to install UT2004 (DVD edition) following this excellent guide but, once selected the extra pakages suggested, I found out that POL kept downloading very large libraries, particularly one called “windows XP Ksomething” (316 megabytes).

I stopped the process, checked the UT2004 virtual drive and found out its dimension was already more than 700 megabytes without completing the latest download and without a single game file in it.

I had never seen anything like that in dozens of POL installations.

I tried again using POL wine version 1.5.25 without adding any package at all.

Everything went perfectly well, I had only to check the mouse warp override option because I couldn’t look down (the up, left and right movements were perfect) and manually edit the UT2004.ini file to display my native resolution of 1600x900.

As I said, the game works flawlessly with every setting maxed out, no difference at all from my native installation.
  9. booman
    Yeah, that is pretty strange...
    Did you select the packages mentioned in this guide specifically?
    I've never seen anything more than 300 MB download in the past.
    Most of the time its pretty transparent because I already have the packages downloaded for most game requirements.
    When I used to download IE8 packages it would automatically download the Windows XP Service Pack 2 (WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe) and it was a pretty large download 331.8 MB
    I have also noticed if you download dotnet40 it might require:
    • dotnet20 (73MB)
    • dotnet30 (82MB)
    • dotnet 35 (206MB)
    • dotnet 35 sp1 (242MB)
    That could be your 700+ megabytes right there, but I already have all of that downloaded ahead of time, so I only experience installing them.

That is awesome UT2004 is running without any packages at all. I may have had some problems running it and threw in dotnet40 and vcrun2010
  10. Kladiator
    Hi Booman,
    it occurred to me after reading your reply that the reason for the large downloads was that UT2004 was the first game I was installing on my Ubuntu 14.04 MATE partition (a 1 Tb hard disk) while all my other POL, native and Steam for Linux games are on the other (almost full) hard disk, running Ubuntu Unity/Gnome Shell.

So basically, if I understand the process correctly, on this OS PlayOnLinux needs libraries that on the other partition were installed with other games.

In your guide you say that maybe you will try installìng UT2004 natively: will you use the installer which can be found on the DVD or will you use this one?

I ask because I tried both unsuccessfully; the only way I was able to get this game running was to copy the ut2004 folder from a previous installation, getting the libstdc++5 library, copying on the System folder the libSDLsomething package and launching the game from terminal using padsp ./ut2004-bin because otherwise there was no sound.
  11. booman
    I thought you got it working without any packages?

Yes, I have a feeling those packages had to download for Ubuntu 14 since you didn't have any previous games installed. Still not sure why it came out to 700 MB?

I could mess around with that UT2004 Linux binary. Sometimes they can be frustrating because the libraries are so old and are not fully supported anymore. PlayOnLinux handled everything really well.
  12. Kladiator
    Yes, I installed it on POL without adding anything, but it was already working natively on my system.

So right now I have BOTH the Linux and Windows versions on my PC!

I understand that this is a little wasteful and given that I agree with you that PlayOnLinux is probably the best option I will almost certainly nuke the native version when I need that extra space.

Furthermore, there is a a great mod called Ballistic Weapons which works better with Windows anyway.
  13. booman
    Interesting Mod...
    So you get the same performance from PlayOnLinux as you do Native?
    Which is easier to install?
  14. Kladiator
    No doubt right now the Windows version with PlayOnLinux is much easier to install than the native one for the simple reason that with the latter you have to:

1) find and install the libstdc++5 library
    2) install the libsdl1.2 library and symlink it to the UT system folder with
    ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL-1.2.so.0 /path/to/your/folder/UT2004/System/libSDL-1.2.so.0
    3) if there is no sound, launch the game from terminal with the .padsp command.

I think that those instructions may be fairly simple to us but are certainly confusing for a new Linux user.

Edit: I forgot a question: yes, the performance is the same.
  15. booman
    It sounds confusing... not to mention if one of those produces an error, I wouldn't know how to fix it.

Does the installer automatically use the DVD to install the game?
  16. Kladiator
    Yes, it does.

Having said that, however, in my opinion you shouldn't bother with a UT2004 native installation guide.
    Even if it worked, it would be certainly more complicated than the POL one and more intimidating for less experienced Linux users who might stumble upon it after a Google search.

Furthermore, as I already stated there is no difference at all in performance so I don't think there is a need for it.
  17. booman
    Sad but true.
    I totally agree. This is the same reason why I used PlayOnLinux for Unreal.