1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PlayOnLinux Error with lib32 libraries

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by clockshell, Dec 19, 2014.

1. clockshell

clockshell New Member

Hey!

I also have a problem with PoL finding the lib32 libraries on my machine since my last big update (Manjaro, 3.17.6).

PoL output (it says "PlayOnLinux is not capable to find 32bits OpenGL-Libraries." where the terminal output says "Warning:".
    Code:
    $ playonlinux
    Looking for python... 3.4.2 - skipped
    Looking for python2.7... 2.7.9 - selected

(python2.7:5572): Gtk-WARNING **: Im Modulpfad »adwaita« konnte keine Themen-Engine gefunden werden,

(python2.7:5572): Gtk-WARNING **: Im Modulpfad »adwaita« konnte keine Themen-Engine gefunden werden,
    [main] Message: PlayOnLinux (4.2.5) is starting
    [clean_tmp] Message: Cleaning temp directory
    [Check_OpenGL] Warning:
    [Check_OpenGL] Message: 64bits direct rendering is enabled
    [POL_System_CheckFS] Message: Checking filesystem for /home/florian/.PlayOnLinux/
    [main] Message: Filesystem is compatible
    [install_plugins] Message: Überprüfe Plugin: Capture...
    [install_plugins] Message: Überprüfe Plugin: ScreenCap...
    [install_plugins] Message: Überprüfe Plugin: PlayOnLinux Vault...
    [maj_check] Message: List is up to date

I installed lib32-ati-dri, uninstalled and reinstalled playonlinux again but no cigar. Hope you can help me.

edit: When I try to start Anno 1701 for example, I get the following output:
    Code:
    [POL_System_CheckFS] Message: Checking filesystem for Anno1701.exe
    [POL_Wine] Message: Running wine- Anno1701.exe (Working directory : /home/florian/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Anno1701/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Anno 1701)
    [POL_Wine] Message: Notice: PlayOnLinux deliberately disables winemenubuilder. See http://www.playonlinux.com/fr/page-26-Winemenubuilder.html
    wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x7d9b18dc (thread 0009), starting debugger...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Hmm, you may want to post on a Manjaro forum or Arch-ish forum. I'm not very experienced in these problems.
    I'll ask Daerandin to take a look at your errors because he's an Arch gamer.
  3. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    From what I can understand, you have an AMD card, right? If you are using the proprietary drivers, then you need the 32-bit catalyst utils package. I don't know for sure the naming convention in the Manjaro repositories .but if they follow the same as the unofficial AMD repository for Arch Linux, then the 32-bit package would be lib32-catalyst utils

There is no need to reinstall PlayOnLinux as that does not accomplish much. Most likely you are just missing some 32-bit libs and since it is specifically complaining about OpenGL I would start by making sure you have the correct drivers for your graphics cards.

It would help if you could post your graphics card model, and let me know if you are using the proprietary driver or the open source driver.
  4. clockshell

clockshell New Member

I also posted this thread in the German Manjaro Forums (no answer yet).

I have an ATI Radeon HD 5850 running with the 14.10.1006.1001-140505a-171583E catalyst driver package version (also says 2D driver version: 14.50.2, OpenGL-Version 4.4.13283)

Yesterday I found this link https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Catalyst and I think I will go through that procedure if nothing helps although I don't like this GPU driver stuff since it crashed my system not only once...
  5. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

I would follow Arch Linux's wiki instead than Manjaro (Manjaro is based on Arch after all)

• lib32-catalyst-utils - optional, needed for 32-bit OpenGL support on 64-bit systems
    • lib32-catalyst-libgl - optional, needed for 32-bit OpenGL support on 64-bit systems
    • lib32-opencl-catalyst - optional, needed for 32-bit OpenCL support on 64-bit systems
    ^ install that. I don't think Manjaro will change any of the packages name.

You might want to configure the driver with X

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMD_Catalyst
  6. Daerandin

Home page:
    Arch does not have the proprietary catalyst drivers in the official repositories. Besides, Manjaro use their own custom repositories so I would suggest sticking with Manjaro wiki for this.

There is an unofficial Arch repo for catalyst drivers which the wiki page refer to, but it is specifically made for Arch Linux and is likely to conflict with the different package versions in Manjaro repositories.

So the link clockshell posted is probably the better choice here, although explanations are somewhat lacking. You should ensure you only have proprietary drivers installed, you should not have any xf86-ati packages on your system as they will conflict with the proprietary drivers.

Since I don't have any experience with AMD cards on Linux I can't really offer much help on this topic. The Manjaro forums are probably the better place to ask.
  7. clockshell

clockshell New Member

Alright, I'll be on my way and keep you up to date. It's still strange that before the update everything worked fine. Maybe I can just downgrade the driver? Which packages would I have to downgrade?
  8. Daerandin

Home page:
    Actually, the Arch wiki could help too, if you look at the section for installing from AUR as the AUR is available to Manjaro as well.

The thing is that upgrading could have pulled in dependencies, but that should not have broken anything unless you had both some catalyst packages installed along with open source drivers.

If you want to check exactly what was updates check the contents of

/var/log/pacman.log

Assuming Manjaro have not configured it to be kept anywhere else. Knowing exactly what happened during the update might help.

I would not suggest that you avoid updating. Manjaro is a rolling release distro, designed to be updated often. If you don't follow along with updates you will eventually (usually after a couple of months) no longer be able to install anything since there will be a huge version difference between packages on your system and packages in the repositories.
  9. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Still dirty business no matter which wiki is used... feels like AMD drivers are a PITA themselves :/ Remind me not to get involved with AMD cards D:

Most package managers have the ability to hold packages from being upgraded, in this case being the only package (video driver) there shouldn't be a problem in theory. Imho, pretty sure you can do a lot of things from Arch to Manjaro, being careful is highly advisable though.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  10. Daerandin

Home page:
    A lot of Arch info is portable, but Manjaro have their own repos with differing versions as they aim to be less bleeding edge and more stable than Arch. You can easily hold back packages with pacman, just edit the line IgnorePgk= in /etc/pacman.conf

The reason why Arch dropped official support for the proprietary AMD drivers was simply that it was becoming a big headache for the Arch devs to try and prevent things from breaking. AMD drivers hardly ever work with the newest xorg version. So the unofficial Arch repo with the catalyst drivers also offer older versions of xorg and related packages to keep things working.

I hope you get things working, clockshell. I can't promise that I'll find a solution, but if you post the contents of /var/log/pacman.conf we can at least have a look at what happened when you updated.
  11. clockshell

clockshell New Member

Alright, thanks for your time and effort guys! I really appreciate it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  12. clockshell

clockshell New Member

So... so far somebody from the Manjaro forums provided a solution (https://de.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=2299.0).

I uninstalled wine and installed wine-stable instead. By now, PoL recognizes 32bit OpenGL libraries. I had to delete gcc and gcc-libs in favor of the *-multilib versions, I am not sure weather this was a good idea so far, maybe I just have to wait until gcc-multilib and gcc-libs-multilib is updated?

I tried to install wine again but it conflicts with wine-stable so I left it as it is for now...

edit: Still experienced PoL crashes with wine-stable so I installed wine over wine-stable. Works fine now (even former keyboard problems are solved).
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  13. Daerandin

Home page:
    This sounds really odd. Installing a different wine version should not affect how PoL runs since it provides its own wine versions. I suspect the dependencies for those two packages might differ. I don't know if you still want to investigate this matter, but if so you can run the command

Code:
    pacman -Qi wine wine-stable
    And then post the entire output here. It would at least let us see if there is any difference in dependencies between those packages. They should not have differing dependencies, as I suspect wine-stable is just wine 1.6.2

There is nothing wrong with having gcc-multilib and gcc-libs-multilib, the only difference between those and regular gcc is that they give you the additional option to compile code into 32-bit applications. It does not give any difference to how an application runs on your system.

To me it does sound like the problem lies with missing 32-bit packages and I suspect it is related to the catalyst drivers. If things keep working for you, then that's great although I have to admit that I am not convinced your problem is solved based on what you have done so far. Going through the steps in the Manjaro wiki just to ensure you have the drivers properly installed, and that you do not have any open source drivers on your system might be a good idea.

If you ever have the option to change your AMD card for an Nvidia card, I'd say definitely go for it. It would make your life with Linux a lot easier.
  14. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

In essence you are enabling multilib... which are crucial to run 32bit applications. If you didn't have them installed then you need to check that lib32-alsa-plugins and lib32-libpulse is installed. Without the lib32, applications may start failing. I know it sounds super tricky, but think about it for a second. Most games run under WINE 32bit, thus you need 32bit libraries to run WINE.

You can't have both. If you tried to install wine stable and wine latest, then no. There's a high possibility both packages uses the same path and binary names. As far as I know you can't have both installed as they will create a conflict. That's why in PlayOnLinux they keep them separated, each wine in its own folder.
  15. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Not sure if this is related, but sometimes when I install Mint updates, I get an error from PlayOnLinux that it can't find the 32-bit or 64-bit libraries. Just happened this weekend. I restarted and everything was fine.