1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GOG.com removing 35 games

Discussion in 'Games' started by Daerandin, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    So I just read that 35 games will be removed from GOG.com, I did not see much of a reason given. However, all those games area currently available at a vastly reduced price for anyone interested.

Note that games you buy on GOG will always be available to you even if they pull the game from their selection. So just check the current sale on GOG if you'd like a digital drm-free copy of the games. I do hope they will make those games available again sometime soon, because there are some awesome games there and I feel it hurts GOG to lose those games.

On a sidenote, GOG also started with DRM-free movies. Not sure where they are going with this.
  2. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

Apparently, the reason for the removal is a problem in dealing with regional pricing.

Thanks to a Reddit post, the best explanation I read seems to be this one.
  3. Daerandin

Home page:
    Ah, probably a mess of contracts and conditions regarding resale and pricing. Hopefully they will get these titles back sometime in the near future. Still, the sale is a very good gesture of them so that people can get these games cheap.
  4. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    The only one I want is Gothic 2, but I'm going to wait for another day. Only have $3 on PayPal right now.
    Not like I can do a guide anyways ;)

I think its interesting that GOG decided to do DRM free videos. I noticed they were thinking of doing music as well.
    It would be nice to see some movies in the future (other than documentaries)
    But what studios/publishers/producers want to make their movie DRM free?
  5. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    It'll be old stuff that nobody cares about, probably.
  6. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    That is what I'm worried about. Old Westerns, Orson Wells and Hitchcock movies?
  7. Aremis

Aremis Member

Different companies have bought older companies and are retracting into their own fak steam's.

UPlay is doing it right by showing players stuff on multiple consoles, but wrong in that they force the player to use it. Like registering assassins creed 2. No matter what you ned uplay fpr some ungodly reason.

Battlefield is sort of a joke and I am not sure why anyone is giving a shit about it. So is Origin. YES I WANT TO PLAY A $5000 GAME OF COMBAT ARMS.

Seriously it makes me sad. If I want combat arms I'm going to play combat arms, even though I most likely won't play it.

Might be fun though.
  8. Daerandin

Home page:
    I think the original plan with Uplay was to force the always online DRM that Assassin's Creed 2 had. I remember the mess when the game originally came out and the game would stop if your internet connection dropped, only resuming IF your connection came back quickly, otherwise you were kicked to the main menu, effectively losing all progress since the last save.

Thankfully they removed that always online requirement after a year or so. As for Origin, I don't have an account there.