1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Sims 4 Create A Sim demo

Discussion in 'Games' started by steve723, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Albert Zhen

Albert Zhen New Member

I am considering it, but it's quite daunting since I just got a new job and all. I'd see what I can do in my free time. I finally learnt how to use some basic functions in GIMP, would be easier to do a guide with some screens on my dual monitor setup.

Setting up Nvidia proprietary drivers forced me to learn how to write my own xorg.conf files in order to span desktops across multiple screens and allow games to run full screen without eating up other screen as real estate. (>.<)'"

If anyone needs a guide on how to hammer out their own xorg.conf files when using proprietary Nvidia drivers for dual headed setups could drop me a message. I'd go via popularity and see what's the first guide I'd be doing here.

The need to game made me learn a ton of stuff I never knew about Linux though, learnt so much and there's seems to be an infinite fount that remains untapped. Real exciting times.

Well, I'm currently enjoying Divinity:Original Sin via steam using wine version 1.7.22 with minimal fuss. It's basically plug and play; anyone out there need a guide for that?

Drop me a message on any specific game that is in need of penguin's affection, otherwise I'd just go ahead and post game installation guides as I acquire new games not supported on Linux.

Good news though, I suspect my role will diminish rapidly as more and more games are released on Linux. :)
    booman likes this.
  2. Albert Zhen

Albert Zhen New Member

Here's a tiny update on the situation with Sims 4 Create a Sim Demo.

I've installed the latest PlayOnLinux version 4.2.4 with wine 1.7.25 from the website instead of using my distro which only uses PlayOnLinux 4.2.2-1. And guess what, the vcredist_x86.exe downloaded from Microsoft actually runs instead of an immediate crash.

I've tried doing a faux bypass by creating the folder with full rewrite access to everyone but it doesn't work. When the installer runs, it appears to lock all access to that cache folder to everyone including itself, thus the installation fails every time. I'm not sure if windows programs are allowed to create temporary no permission folders or is it an error via wine/PlayOnLinux for this one.

But that's the main hurdle that's been preventing the installation of that crucial file to allow Sims 4 CAS to run.

Attached is the error log of the file for those with the aptitude for it.

Will probably post a guide the moment I find a way to install the file :)

Attached Files:

3. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Same here! Because of Games and tired of paying $$ for Windows, I have learned a LOT about Linux and its capabilities. If it wasn't for games, I would only use it for my server.
    I'm starting to learn GIMP as well. Been using Photoshop for years and tired of paying for it as well. Specially now that its subscription only.

Any guide you want to do is fine by me. Original Sin would be AWESOME!
    Can you try to follow our structure so they seem unified?
    1. Introduction
    2. Screenshot
    3. Specs
    4. Conclusion
    Please post your guide in the PlayOnLinux forum, then I'll move it to the Guides forum so it will appear on the front page.
  4. Albert Zhen

Albert Zhen New Member

I will go read up on the forums then to pick up the format before I post anything.
  5. booman

Home page:
    No problem. Anytime is fine for us.
    By the way, not only will your guide post on the homepage, we will also post it on our Google+ and Facebook pages.
  6. steve723

steve723 Member

I figured out how to get Origin to work with wine 1.7.33. I installed Origin with wine 1.7.33. Before trying to download get the patch_qt5network_wine.py patch from wine HQ forum. copy it to your Origin directory under POL vitual drives then apply the patch. I downloaded The Sims 4. Origin now works as well as it does via Winblows. Unfortunatly The Sims 4 still can't be installed due to VCRedist_86.exe 2013 not being scripted for wine yet.
    booman likes this.
  7. mrdeathjr28

mrdeathjr28 Active Member

This my contribution with sims 4 full

:)
    steve723 and booman like this.
  8. booman

Home page:
    No way! point me to the patch_qt5network_wine.py
    I have a strange feeling this might help me with Drakensang and Qt5 errors
  9. steve723