1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Sims 4 Create A Sim demo

Discussion in 'Games' started by steve723, Jul 22, 2014.

1. steve723

steve723 Member

I haven't got it to install yet but it came out this month so I will keep trying. a little over 1 month until launch of the full game. Hopefully Origin will come to Linux soon. EA already tried to get money for an indi aaa game via crowd funding but I don't think they got enough money. I am not holding my breath just yet. At least they are considering it.
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I'm not waiting for them either. I've only read bad things about E.A. and Origin these days...
    Maybe its better that they stay away from Linux with all of their crazy DRM schemes. :mad:
    What was that Indie AAA crowd funding by E.A.?
  3. mrdeathjr28

mrdeathjr28 Active Member

However for system requirements, this title have many chances to work on wine

For more information this is EA page with information about this demo

http://help.ea.com/en/article/the-sims-4-create-a-sim-cas-demo/#10

:)
  4. steve723

steve723 Member

I don't remember and I don't remember the web site that I saw it on. I'll let you know if I stumble across it again. I doubt if they got enough money anyway. Probably people don't want Origin DRM crap on Linux anyway. 3:):(
  5. steve723

steve723 Member

I already saw that but thanks. I figure I probably need to fiddle with the wine settings. I installed it in the same prefix that I have The Sims 3 in since that game runs so great via wine actually its PlayOnLinux/wine. Maybe I sure try a separate wine prefix.
  6. booman

Home page:
    Yeah, it would have to be a HUGE game for people to pay up-front with all their DRM problems.
    I have a few games in Origin, but I have to play them in Windows and the DRM runs fine. The only reason I have them is because I got them in a Humble Bundle for almost nothing.
  7. steve723

steve723 Member

Some of their games work in wine. If you use POLs wine 1.5.28-Origin then you can download games. Downloading is extremely slow like using a dial up modem! It took me about 72 hrs that’s three days to download The Sims 3 base game! I am not exaggerating It literally took about 3 days!
  8. mrdeathjr28

Download from origin on wine is very bad experience, on my case download games from windows and once stay download, make test on linux

But i try test Sims 2 Ultimate Collection (origin give this game free until 31 of july with this code on code redemption space: I-LOVE-THE-SIMS)

9. steve723

steve723 Member

GL. :) Let us know if The Sims 2 Works. Be prepared for a llloooonnnnggg time to download. :rolling:
  10. booman

Home page:
    That is insane! At least you are using up E.A.'s bandwidth ;)
    I wonder if I could download the game in Windows then move the game folder over to Linux?
  11. steve723

steve723 Member

Maybe but you would have to copy it to DVD or a thumb drive as Windows can't see you’re Linux partition. Don't forget to set Origon to save installers or it will delete it after installing.
  12. mrdeathjr28

Only need maintain directory routes and in some cases game registers however if is necessary you can edit this entries with linux location entries (in this case origin games directory on linux, in my case this folder stay on NFTS partition)

13. booman

Home page:
    Yup, Linux can see my Windows partition and I just copy/paste directly to Linux
  14. mrdeathjr28

In my case works open origin choose game and begin download, once begin download you must be pause download

After this copy all content of game selected (previously downloaded for windows example. in my case store backup in other partition) to game folder in origin

And now begin origin and when you see download list, origin says installing after this you must be close origin and after this back open origin and this time game appears installed

15. booman

Home page:
    Ah, very nice! I knew there was a way to do it.
    I kinda wish all the clients had a way to backup a game and restore without having to download the entire game.

I actually keep offline copies of all my Steam games.
  16. mrdeathjr28

In my case have same, actually have two HDD of 2TB and once of them for only backups and screen casting and other with windows, linux and other partition for data storage

I have same method for sims 2 ultimate collection but at entry moment show same error in other versions D3DFMT error and close after this

17. Rob Harvey

Rob Harvey New Member

Just to return this thread to the topic ... I haven't been about to get Create-A-Sim working because it attempts to install the 2013 Visual C++ Redistributable Package which currently has a "garbage" listing from WineHQ.
  18. booman

Home page:
    Welcome to the forum Rob Harvey!

Of course, Visual C++ 2013 is too new for Wine... who knows how long it will take for them to reverse engineer it?
    Sucks for us, but as usual, its just a waiting game.
    I would rather Wine devs work on Direct X 10 instead.
  19. Albert Zhen

Albert Zhen New Member

Hi guys, new to linux here. I'm a passionate gamer and I recently switched over to Linux and I've written a newbie's guide to get the Origin to play nice on Linux. Follow step 7 if you want Origin to download your games in native Linux.

So far I've got Sims 3 and almost all its expansions running and I hope to add Sims 4 to that list in the near future.

I've tried installing Sims 4 Create a Sim Demo on Ubuntu 14.04 and noted that Sims 4 is using VCRedist_86.exe (2013) which isn't part of winetricks as yet.
    steve723 and booman like this.
  20. booman

Home page:
    Welcome to the forum!
    That is an amazing guide! All that is missing is screens!
    How would you like to do some guides for us here on GamersOnLinux?