1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting environment variable in POL

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by cmdl, Sep 19, 2021.

1. cmdl

cmdl New Member

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong category and/or if this has already been posted somewhere else on the forum.

Background: In my adventures related to this, I was exploring on how to get my weaker laptop to run Fallout 3. I upgraded to Zorin 16 and found that none of my games were launching. Then I found this and this.

Upshot: This helped me launch my games again. For any OpenGL issues due to Mesa incompatibility, use this in the POL console (Tools -> POL console):
    Code:
    POL_Shortcut_InsertBeforeWine "shortcutname" 'environment variable'

Example: POL_Shortcut_InsertBeforeWine "FalloutLauncher" 'export MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.4'
    On a somewhat related note, some time back I had problems with getting Call of Duty 1 to run. I had to set environment variables for that which I did with Wine. The error was "buffer overrun". If anyone has a similar problem, the environment variables for that were one of the following (I can't remember which one of the two):
    Code:
    env MESA_EXTENSION_MAX_YEAR=2008
    OR
    env __GL_ExtensionStringVersion=17700
    Hope this helps.
    booman likes this.
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    This is GREAT!
    Thank you for posting!

I'm sure environment variables have been mentioned but its been a long time.
    cmdl likes this.