1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Developing ARM Processors

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Jun 24, 2020.

• by booman, Jun 24, 2020 at 7:17 PM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Not sure if this was inevitable or just Apple making changes as always?

Apple is now developing their own ARM processors and may go away with Intel x86 processors by 2021
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/23/21232441/apple-arm-mac-2020-5nm-processor-12-cores

This is bad news for Intel, but might be good news for Linux!

• Windows XP end of life brought users to Linux
    • Windows 7 end of life brought user to Linux

The majority of gamers on Mac are playing games that only run on x86 processors. Thousands of games on Steam will not run on ARM processors. On top of that, OSX Catalina has already removed support for 32-bit applications. Gamers are going to be forced to Windows or Linux. Not to mention businesses who use x86 Mac applications.

I have even noticed a growth in Mac questions on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/wine_gaming/
  • Categories: Uncategorized

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Daniel~
    Why do people vote for trumpppy?
    Why do people buy way over price apples?
    Why do fools fall in love!? ":O}
  2. booman
    We'll see where this goes...
    I have heard and read many times how ARM processors are more efficient with processing and power than Intel chips. At least the tiny ones in smaller devices.

Now Apple is going to use this technology in their laptops?
    It works well on a phone, but I've always felt laptops needed more power.

This is also at the cost of loosing all 32-bit support applications and x86 applications.
    There are a lot of people who still need those. I can't imagine how large the list would be.
  3. danrok
    These Apple laptops aren't being bought by gamers, that's more of a side thing.

A lot of creative workers do use Apple kit and Adobe software.

Now much of Adobe's software can be run as a cloud service meaning the client device only needs a fast internet connection and processing power is less important. You can already run these desktop-type applications on tablets.

So slower laptop processors that use less energy start to make sense.
  4. booman
    Ah, I'm not surprised.
    So will Apple still provide a gaming laptop with extra video power?
    What CPU will they use?
  5. Daniel~
    I have a question!
    Why did the PS4 pro go AMD Jaguar with a AMD Videocard?

Was AMD better, just cheaper or both.
  6. Gizmo
    PS4 and XBox One were both designed as PC-based platforms in order to make game development easier. Both platforms (in the case of XBox, everything since the original) are based on AMD driven hardware, primarily because Intel doesn't offer an integrated GPU with sufficient performance for a decent gaming platform. If they went with Intel, they would have been forced to integrate an nVidia GPU (and, as I recall, they actually had discussions with nVidia, but couldn't come to an agreement on price).
    (edit: the Xbox 360 was NOT a PC architecture, it was based on IBM PowerPC Xenon and ATI/AMD, and the original Xbox was based on Intel PIII/nVidia, NOT AMD)

AMD was able to not only offer a decently performing x86-based CPU, with a decent integrated GPU, but were also willing to work closely with both Microsoft and Sony to customize the hardware to their respective requirements, and do so at a price that the two respective companies were satisfied with. This remains the case with the XBox ONE Series S/Series X and the PS5.

I rather suspect (though I do not know) that the agreement AMD made is part of what kept them afloat long enough to develop the Zen architecture.

And seriously, Microsoft REALLY needs to work on their marketing: XBox One S, XBox One X, XBox One Series S, XBox One Series X. Wow, no opportunity for confusion there.

[edit for clarity and to add some additional comments]
    booman likes this.
  7. Daniel~
    thanks a whole big bunch. Now i can pretend to be knowledgeable when talking to myself about these things, ';o]