1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Xbox

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by booman, Dec 27, 2019.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I saw this coming a long time ago...
    Consoles are needing more than just games and hardware needs more than just a motherboard with integrated chips...

Looks like a PC to me!
    Microsoft is boasting a console without discs to play your games... hmm I hardly use discs anymore. I download just about every game these days.

Its bigger!
    Like my Desktop towers... all 8 of them... for gaming, internet, streaming video, research, homeschool, audio editing, drawing, photo editing and more.

The only benefit I can think of is developers are creating games for one hardware standard. Wait... how will you play your old Xbox games?

Funny huh? I play my old PC games on my new PC!

Console gamers need to have all of their old consoles lying around to play those old games. I recycle, rebuild or donate my old PCs

The age of PCs is never going away
  2. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Generalization has it's merits. As does specialization.

Having it the last couple of years built a modern PC I can say that to build a PC capable of my PS4 performance cost around three times as much. And the PC has a huge jump in performance parts.

PS4 simply doesn't need to due it's very narrow focus

So there is room in the pricing to build a lessor PC and buy a PS4.

PC do a great job juggling the hardware for gamers with a very wide assortment of parts.
    This of course a PS4 and cannot do.

But if all want to do ( I pity the fool as MR T use to say.) is play game I have to day your hands down better off with a PS4.

Boo your a gaming nut and I say that with much respect. I say it because it's true.
    You play and enjoy games that I would quite gaming if I had to play them.

I regard you as being on a whole nother level when it comes to really loving games.

In your love for games you give shelter to games I will always walk away from.

What I'm getting at is the obsolescence simply doesn't weigh upon most gamers minds. Sure we want backward capability in a gaming platform, when we can get it.

But being able to utilize all of a new games features really out weighs being able to play old games.

I will always have affection for QUAKE! But don't want to replay it. Far to many limitations for me to really enjoy it. That you can and do over look them I see as the mark of a true lover of games ":O}
  3. booman

Home page:
    Hey Daniel!
    I see the benefits of most couch gamers who just want to play a few AAA games on Playstation or Xbox.
    It makes sense to spend the $300.00 and still get Netflix, Youtube and email with it.

My speculation... as Consoles get more and more complicated with needs for apps and connectivity, they will basically end up being a gaming PC. Of course you are stuck with its operating system, but I've heard of people installing Linux on an Xbox too.
    There are those other options as well.

I've always been fascinated with hardware, operating systems and applications. So I want to experiment, break things and play AAA titles and oldies. Best of all worlds, but at a price $$ and patience.

In the last 10 years I've only invested a few hundred dollars in a few upgrades on all of my systems. But in a few years they are going to need a complete overhaul if I want to keep playing modern games.... but for now, they still play the standard games and older games too. I'm happy with that.
  4. Daniel~

Home page:
    Hit a link that popped up at the end of you Video post. Lot's of good info on how PS5 will continue to kick MS butt.":O}

It confirms much of your thinking on this.
    I think that we will continue to see both PC and consoles.
    But I also think that PC will continue to do many things very well, it's focus will lean \ toward business usage.

While Sony and X Box will go an "All your entertainment and communication needs, Emails and browser as well as Facebook and it's kind. Which iy already does.

I think that by Gen 6 machines it will be hard for a PC that isn't geared toward the top end to compete with the consoles
    on performance. But speaking from experience those who go that way will get well and truly clobbered on price. As we do now.
    Today you can get Sony's best for $500. To compete you will have to spend that much just on your Video card.

You will also have to support that card with some fairly expensive PC hardware.

Alas for the pure gamer who only wants to play games and watch movies, PC's are loosing ground fast.

But I really do expect PC gaming to be around as long as PC's are. NVIDIA will be able to lower prices considerably if the market pressures them enough.

5. booman

Home page:
    Actually I have a feeling consoles will start supporting "apps" so you can download free games and productivity programs. Its seems inevitable when you think of all the other apps out there:
    • iOS Devices
    • Android Devices
    • Smart TVs
    • Chrome Extensions
    • Internet Explorer Add-Ons
    • Firefox Add-Ons
    • G Suite Apps
    • Linux Software Repositories
    • Children's tablets and wireless toys
    There is an app for just about anything out there!
    I'm sure cars and refrigerators now have apps.

Does the Playstation already have Youtube and Netflix apps so you can stream video?

Soon there will be productivity apps for spreadsheets, word documents, PDFs, drawing, photo editing, video editing and more...
  6. Daniel~

Home page:
    PS3 near the end was and is supporting pretty much what you would expect from a smart TV. Netflix,Hulu Showtime HBO and adding more as fast as they can make the deals.

But Sony is really pushing "View" a PS3 TV and movie service. I've never really looked at but on the surface seems pretty complete but lack luster. format.

To be honest I can't even guess what the next big thing will be or how it will impact us.
  7. booman

Home page:
    My guess will be more digital interfaces everywhere you go.
    There will be WIFI and internet with a touchscreen:
    • Bus Stations
    • Restaurant Menu's
    • Directories
    • Toothbrushes
    • Toilet Seats
    • Trash Cans
    Almost like the movie Robots or Next Gen. If you think about it, those things aren't necessary because everyone already carries a computer in their pocket. But businesses aren't going to trust our mobile phone to connect to their system and purchase items.

Maybe the future is more virtual?
    • Virtual Realty where you can walk around a home for sale
    • Virtual vacations where you visit a cathedral in Germany
    • Virtual weddings in space
    • Virtual job interview
  8. Daniel~

Home page:
    Well we've made a good start on Virtual sex! ":O}
  9. booman

Home page: