1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install Linux

Discussion in 'Installing Linux' started by ChristopherValenti12, Jul 27, 2018.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    No problem!
    Just wish I could get email notifications from all the posts... Then I would respond sooner
  2. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I've never noticed any delay in your response. Sorry that you are not notified properly.
  3. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Anyone know how to get the screensaver right in Mint Cinnamon 19.1? I would appreciate a hand here.
  4. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Hate to display the ignorance, but how do I install VLC Media Player, please? I downloaded a tar.xz for VLC Media Player--but don't know how to "DeTar" it and install it. I think Mint 17.3 came with it installed or installed it easily.

With Mint 19.1 Cinnamon I dunno how to install it. Please help!
    The Media Player that I have doesn't work worth a hoot. It asked me to search for something marked as a BAD choice. WTH?

I installed the "bad choice" but avoided the ""worse choice.""
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  5. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

VLC seems to be a bridge beyond attainability. Sure would love some help with this everyone! Being able to watch DVD's on my PC is important because Mr Sun can play meanly when I want to see a DVD on my big tv.

At this point I'm contemplating a Mint 17.3 installation just to watch DVD's with. Maybe having that old Mint 17.3 would be easiest on its own SSD? Maybe.

Seems like a step backward though.

Mint 19.1 does NOT play fair With VLC Media Player. And the built in so called Media Player is plain useless.

Help needed all y'all. I've worked on this problem for days but simply can't install VLC Media Player. It would be a cinch to install as it's already an "easy" install. If only.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  6. Kaitain

Kaitain Active Member

Mint's USP originally was to make it easy to install media codecs (less significant as the most common are now out of patent), the Cinnamon desktop (now repackaged and made available on other distros, from Arch to Ubuntu), and simpler driver installation (which other distros now also do) there's no real reason to cling to it.

I played with various distros before going back to Gentoo, and was pleasantly surprised with all of them. While I might not always like everything about them, it's no longer a case of some distros simply failing to install* or being bad, wrong and stupid once running, so much as whether the minor differences between how I want the system to work, and how it actually works, are tolerable. For me, this means Gentoo, as I then have the flexibility to close that gap between expectation and reality. For you, maybe another system - if you're still KDE-minded, consider KDE Neon.
  7. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you very much for your suggestion Kaitain. I used to like KDE a lot. But it's been many years so I'm now trepidatious about the change.
  8. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Can anyone recommend a Media Player program that will let me see my DVD player in Mint Cinnamon 19.1?
    Used to love VLC but a substitute would be great.
  9. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Hmm, nope, VLC is the best one ever!
  10. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you for your reply! I did not know that it was, but I'm happy to assent to your opinion!
    Dang, it's important that I be able to watch DVD's with my PC. I hate to upset the apple cart that runs so well, Mint Cinnamon 19.1 that is. The folks that made Mint 19.1 are to be greatly commended!

But this inability to install VLC brings slings and arrows of disapproval! Big ones!
  11. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    DO NOT USE CHROME!!!

Google is selling all your data to third parties!
    This FireFox does not do. Just saw this a few days ago on my TV.
  12. Daniel~

Home page:
    Booman!
    If you have a good back up, I stress this!
    Then when you can find the time would you try updating your drivers in driver manager to anything above the 340 drivers.

I followed your excellent instruction on adding NVIDIA ppa. After which I revived the whole array of possible drivers in Driver manger. Not one of them above the 340s will give me above 1920X1080. They look good and seem to work well, but offer nothing above the 1920X1080 barrier.

So I go back to the 340s, but can't because the 340s now are screwed by having been removed improperly and can no longer be installed. So I end up stuck on the X-server X-org drivers...until I run a restore on it's ass to keep it from talking sideways at me.":O}

But I noticed something this time. The 304 and 340 drives are labeled NVIDIA legacy binary drivers.
    All drivers newer than 340 are labeled NVIDIA driver metapackage.
    Now I'm going to try the one thing I haven't done, I'll install the X-server X-org drivers, then see if they can be upgraded to 396 or one of the 4's

I'll get back to you guys in a few.":O}
  13. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Read the same thing, thanks for the warning. I use Chrome to visit four sites and that's it. Will this cause the "keeping tabs on everything" problem? Netflix works fine with Chrome, other browsers? Not so much.
  14. Kaitain

Kaitain Active Member

It's a waste of time worrying about that. Even if you avoid Google, your activity on the internet leaves footprints - between browser fingerprinting, IP geolocation and similar methods, advertisers and others can still identify users reasonably accurately even using a nominally secure browser with all the right extensions enabled.
  15. Daniel~

Home page:
    To George:

I use Firefox to watch Netflix, mostly just to add suggested movies sent by E-mail from NF
    but I watch previews and such all the time.

To Kaitan:

Thanks for keeping me from running in circles screaming and shouting about this.
    deep inside I knew this wouldn't change our internet diapers.

I want to hurt them all. How can I hurt them all? LOL
  16. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Well! Whadaya know, Firefox seems to run Netflix with no trouble at all. Thank you Dan!

And thank you for the clarification Kaitain. Just pining for that third, Microsoft supplied rectal probe. Oops, Win10 has two all by itself.
  17. Kaitain

Kaitain Active Member

Well, it's not quite as bad as I've made out above. Browser fingerprinting is hard to spoof, but also not as precise as obtaining the user's consent (express or implied) by setting trackers and cookies.

You can have a look at how you might be identified through this: https://panopticlick.eff.org/

You can also muck about with geolocation by using VPNs to other locations, or Tor, but then doing what Tor et al expressly tell you not to do, by signing into your Google/Farcebook/Amazon/whatever account. You'll appear to be jumping around all over the place, which will give their algorithms a bit more of a headache trying to sell you goods based on region*.

You can also muck about with your profiling information. On the Political Compass I sit firmly in the bottom left hand quadrant (left/libertarian), and have some level of education, so it amuses me to read the gutter press on the authoritarian right. When Google Discover starts suggesting to me articles from the likes of Breitbart, or their UK equivalent, then I know I'm on to a winner. Similarly when they start giving me local news articles from Fiji or Senegal, then I'm pretty sure I've messed up their geolocation.

* That said, my geography is messed up anyway, as I'm physically located in Iraq, with ISPs routed through either Russia, India or Korea, depending on the whim of the IT manager here, and occasionally using my VPN (which routes through home) or my own company's VPN (which routes, alternately, through France and Japan).

Good luck with that one, advertisers!
  18. Daniel~

Home page:
    Well shit! that blows my "you just need NVIDIA drivers" theory .
    To be honest I'm a bit surprised that the Xservers drivers are up to the job!
    Good on ya George.

I will still carry out my driver experiments on my 90 gig drive and let you know.
  19. Daniel~

Home page:
    I just got real busy, ( for me that's exciting!! )
    I'll get back to you this afternoon! ":O}
  20. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

90 Gig drive? Where on earth did you find that? Yes, I was surprised that Mint 19.1 chose the xserver.org driver. It tried to during the first installation, but I was "smarter" and chose an nvidia driver. That messed up the installation badly. The next time I let it choose the one it wanted, xserver works fine. Still no VLC though.