1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IBM Announces Acquiring Red Hat Linux

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Nov 6, 2018.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Nov 6, 2018.

1. cloasters
    Yes, but is this good for Linux users in general? It's just that bigger, in this case for IBM is not always better.
  2. booman
    At least this gives us an idea of how much Linux is really worth.
    Its amazing that Red Hat actually makes money with free software. I'm very encouraged by this.
  3. cloasters
    Ah, so. I doff my hat to your opinion, good sir.
  4. Gizmo
    I admit to some concern over this move. IBM have actually been pretty good stewards of the open source projects they have involvement in. On the other hand, IBM is a business, so it is unreasonable to expect that Red Hat will continue being the same outfit they have been up to this point. IBM expects to gain from having Red Hat in the fold, and so there will be changes to how Red Hat does things.

Hopefully this will all end well.
  5. booman
    Hopefully Red Hat will stay open-source so some one can fork it once things move in the wrong direction.
  6. cloasters
    It's somewhat unusual that Red Hat made money. Yet they certainly worked on their distro for many years. Tried it once, and Fedora as well. Guess I got used to doing Linux za Cherman way. I liked SuSE but it like totally went commercial after they sold it.

Let's hope that Red Hat doesn't go BIG TIME commercial now that HAL bought it.
  7. booman
    I still use Fedora 16 on my old SuperMicro server. I boot it up once a month to backup data. That is about it. So I don't mind installing Debian or even Mint on it one day if I have to.
  8. DanfossvlfdsFeext
    So do we finally get proper GNU Linux for desktop now??
    And by that I mean a desktop experience for all users, not just the geek/power user