1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warframe: Game Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by batmanm0b1e, Sep 22, 2018.

• by batmanm0b1e, Sep 22, 2018 at 9:19 PM
  • batmanm0b1e

batmanm0b1e Active Member

1.jpg

They were called Tenno. Warriors of blade and gun: masters of the Warframe armor. Those that survived the old war were left drifting among the ruins. Now they are needed once more.

The Grineer, with their vast armies, are spreading throughout the solar system. A call echoes across the stars summoning the Tenno to an ancient place. They summon you.

Allow the Lotus to guide you. She has rescued you from your cryostasis chamber and given you a chance to survive. The Grineer will find you; you must be prepared. The Lotus will teach you the ways of the Warframes and the secrets to unlocking their powers.

COME TENNO, YOU MUST JOIN THE WAR.

9.jpg
    Follow my step-by-step guide on installing, Warframe in Linux with Steam-Proton

Note: This guide applies to Steam-Proton. Only on Steam. It delivers DXVK and wine, tools by steam,winehq,codeweavers.

Tips
    To learn more about proton see here Proton Explained

I'm using Arch. You can use Ubuntu or any Distro of choice
    Arch 64bit Manjaro
    Kernel-4.18.9-1
    Steam-Proton-3.7-6 Beta
    DXVK-patched

Steam Proton Installation Setup

Please have the following installed on your Linux
    Note: have the most updated Nvidia drivers installed 396,54 if you're on Intel or AMD you need mesa
    Note: If your game Starts every time in windowed mode and the save does not take effect for your resolution. Remove -fullscreen:0 from line 422 in Launcher.sh from
    Code:
    /.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Warframe/Tools/
    (Mesa for Intel & AMD) only Intel & AMD
    Nvidia
    Steam
    Vulkan
    Vulkan-32bit

For Intel and AMD Users with no Nvidia
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:paulo-miguel-dias/mesa
    sudo apt dist-upgrade
    sudo apt install mesa-vulkan-drivers mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386
    Install Steam for Ubuntu and Debian - You might need to add a repo if you're on an older Ubuntu
    Code:
    sudo apt install steam
    Install Arch Linux
    Code:
    sudo pacman -S steam
    Install Vulkan and Vulkan-32bit

Install Vulkan on Ubuntu and Debian

Code:
    sudo apt install libvulkan1 libvulkan1:i386
    Install Arch Linux
    Code:
    sudo pacman -S vulkan-icd-loader lib32-vulkan-icd-loader

Now that is done and you have everything
    open Steam and go to Settings"
    23.jpg
    Now go to your account and change to Beta updates for Steam Play. It will Restart Steam and Update
    Let it do its thing it should take more than a few seconds

22.jpg

Once done Go back to Settings-Steam Play- Select Proton 3.7.6-Beta checkmark all three boxes

21.jpg

It will Restart Steam again Now that Proton is set

Now Go to the Store and find Warframe you should now see an install button. Now go to Library and it will say installing but will say steam proton next to the play button. Wait for it to install and try and launch it. (It won't launch) This is ok we needed an initial start for proton

Now go to your $HOME/username/
    and find /.local/steam/steamapps/common/
    Now find the Proton 3.7 Beta Folder
    20.jpg

Go here and change user_settings.sample.py to user_settings.py
    Once done open the python file with a text editor I'm using mousepad. Make sure unhash the DXVK_HUD if you want it.

30.jpg

Now that this is complete.
    We have to go get some files from an awesome guy who has been making Warframe work in Lutris for a long time now in wine and DXVK. His name is GloriousEggroll. If you like what he has done thank him and donate to him.

Note: GloriousEggroll says
    You will need to plug in a controller. Proton auto-closes warframe after a few minutes if it does not detect one. You do not have to use the controller to play.

I'm using XBOX360 controller I have it plugged in but not using it
    I haven't tested if it works without one but any USB controller that you have that works with steam will work you do not have to use it if you don't want too

Go here and Download https://gitlab.com/GloriousEggroll/warframe-linux/tree/steamplay-proton pick and choose your format I choose zip archive. Then extract it somewhere you want to keep it mines in /.Downloads/.

18.jpg

once you have those files extracted we need to copy all of them to here and replace all (if dialog box appears)
    In your $HOME/yourusername/
    /home/username/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Warframe/Tools/
    Before you copy the files from here. Copy Launcher.exe and rename it to Launcher.backup or whatever just so you have a backup copy of original

17.jpg

Now you are good and done and we are finished. Now Start Warframe in Steam and you should get a white terminal box. It will update everything let it do its thing should only take 10-20mins depending on your CPU prob, not even that once its done it will open Warframe in windowed mode and you will have to set your Resolution.

15.jpg

Everytime you start Warframe you will get this white terminal box it will check updates and then open Warframe this is good

Optimization
    If you want a higher FPS, Turn off Vsync. But I do not recommend it. Only if you're not getting the FPS you want. Make sure you know what FPS you get in Games and know your internet speed.
    Then you can set it to your right FPS. If its too high your CPU and GPU will go up. Unless Warframe Devs fixed this

Gameplay Video:

2.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

13.jpg

7.jpg
    8.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018

Comments

Discussion in 'Guides' started by batmanm0b1e, Sep 22, 2018.

1. booman
    Awesome! I will be giving this a try...
    Did realize there were some work-arounds
    Thank you for posting your guide!
    batmanm0b1e likes this.
  2. booman
  3. batmanm0b1e
    Thanks,
    Did you try this yet
  4. booman
    Not yet, but I definitely will. I want to play Warframe with my Daughter.
  5. booman
    Warframe will not launch for me. I did everything in the guide, but I noticed that my proton 3.7 Beta folder did not have a user.setting.sample.py in it
    The regular Proton 3.7 folder did. So I copied it over and still no change.

• I plugged in an Xbox guitar hero controller
    • Renamed user.setting.py
    • extracted GloriousEggroll's files to the tools folder
    I know Vulkan is installed because I've tested several games with DXVK in PlayOnLinux and they work perfectly. Not sure what I'm missing?
  6. batmanm0b1e
    Did the white terminal box even come up? and update

Try this. Go back to steam stable Restart Steam. Then go and delete the proton 3.7 folders. Go back and turn on the Beta and pick proton 3.7 beta. Then try warframe. Go back to the folder of proton see if you have user_settings.simple.py. Make sure its _ line like this
    Code:
    user_settings.py
    booman likes this.
  7. booman
    I tried that as well. Deleted both Proton folders in steamapps/common
    No white terminal box.
    My Nvidia is 396.51 will that make a difference?
  8. batmanm0b1e
    Is there a folder again for proton 3.7 beta. after you did that and user_settings.simple.py

Is there 396.54 Nvidia driver in your Ubuntu
  9. booman
    Yes, it did appear and I re named user_settings.sample.py to user_settings.py
    I'll check again.
    I'm using a PPA for driver updates, so the newest driver should be available.
    But the driver I'm using works fine with DXVK 0.72
  10. batmanm0b1e
  11. booman
    Ok, I will try tonight.
    Really sucks because if you have older hardware and can't upgrade the drivers, then you can't play any Vulkan or DXVK games.
  12. booman
  13. batmanm0b1e
    I didn't have to do that but try it and let me know if it works
  14. batmanm0b1e
    I didn't try Ubuntu. I was on Arch. I still have my Ubuntu Cinnamon 18.3 I'm going to try it. There should be and difference tho
  15. booman
    I am on Nvidia 396.54
    so I'm good there

I just noticed there are a bunch of launch options in steam:
    -dx11:1 -threadedworker:1 -cluster: public -language:en -fullscreen:0
  16. batmanm0b1e
    where are those in
  17. booman
    When I run Steam via Terminal and then click Play for Warframe, this is the output:
  18. booman
    Right-click Warframe in Steam, Launch Options

Also, my Vulkan version:
    Vulkan Instance Version: 1.1.73
  19. booman
    Found it in the Launcher.sh

upload_2018-9-26_18-1-9.png