1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r9 m275x driver question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by graywolf.theheathen, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Your computer today has ten times the computational abilities of the entire planet on the day you were born!!

You can file that under
    "SO There!"
    Personally, I'd also file it under:
    "Are we there yet?"

I strive for balance.
  2. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I barely remember a whisper of Mr Peepers. I do remember that Wally Cox was a very likable actor.
    Beaten up by thugs? I recall being bullied in various elementary schools, punches to the face did not hurt the way they do as an adult. I turned the tables on some of them by carefully thought out actions that took them by surprise. But had to live with the embarrassment if it was a well organized group of buttheads.

You mean in the park that surrounds the mayor's official residence in Manhattan? I made the mistake of shooting half of a paper clip at the neck of a lad smaller than myself. I blithely visited the park a few days later.

Bang, out of nowhere I was thrown to the pavement of a little visited area of the park and held down, face up by four young toughs. The chap I made the mistake of paper clipping in the back of the neck knelt over me. He held a broken beer bottle in his hand, which he held a fraction of an inch from my neck.
    He asked if he had my attention. Not used to being accosted in such a manner, I spat in his face and..
    Baloney, in honesty I broke into tears, and assured him that he had my complete attention. He asked if I meant to trouble him in any manner in the future?

I assured him that such a thing would NEVER happen again. I gave him a very wide berth after that every frightening episode. I usually simply left the park if I saw him.

I remember that event clearly even after more than half a century. Some things are difficult to forget. The lesson was, "don't think that smaller people than you can be pushed around." Certainly not. And most certainly not when close to Italian neighborhoods in 1962 NYC.
  3. Daniel~

Home page:
    I used a paper clip today...first time in around 20 years!
    I just hung a thermometer by it.
    Now I know the temperature.
    it's 64.4 F. in Ravensdale.

I did no harm with my paper-clip.
    I can be trusted with a paper-clip!
    I'm not like George, I'm a good boy! LOL
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  4. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

B-B-But I like to think of myself as a most sterling fellow. I suppose we all do. At least I have no weapons in my possession, happy to say that I rid myself of them many decades ago. I'm also happy to say that I learned long ago not to look for trouble. If you are foolish enough to seek it out it will always find you. And it will always be more than you can handle.

If you are Jim Croce's Bad Leroy Brown perhaps... but I NEVER even knew where that neighborhood was.
  5. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    If you shot a guy with a paper clip outside Gracie Mansion today, you'd be a terrorist.

I used to know somebody on Hizzoner's security detail, but he retired, so I don't think I could help you out of that dire mess.
  6. Daniel~

Home page:
    I had gave up terrorism when they started bringing paper clips to the party!!!

Same same with Rock$roll,
    I came under threat along with Dire Striates!
    Knoppler warned me if I didn't leave quick I:
    "Might get a blister on my little finger!
    I might get blister on my thumb!

No no point in trying to carry on after that!
    I tried to turn myself in , "Staples" was closed.
    So a broken man I wandered...
    Then yesterday I used my first paper clip. The first one I've touched in 20 years!

And hen like some unbalanced balancing wheel
    Georges' posting of his past atrocities sent me spiraling down into a past where I to labored in darkness, paper clip in hand Trying to remember, trying to understand
    how that drop blood might have been deposited upon it's point!

"Ya shoot him in the back George!"
    The whole point of shooting him in the back is not to be seen!
    You got seen George!
    Please don't do that again.
    (I couldn't handle seeing Mark Knoppler in panic like that again!":O}
  7. ThunderRd

Home page:
    You might get a blister on your little finger, but you get your chicks for free.

I'm in.
  8. Daniel~

Home page:
    "May the circle remain unbroken! ":O}
  9. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Today? I don't know if I'll ever see the island of Manhattan again. I kind of doubt it, besides, it's in so many movies why bother to go there? Been there, done that. And it's horrendously expensive, only the rich and a few very poor folks inhabit the place now.

Shame on me, I almost forgot that ThunderRd was originally from Noo Yawk. Gracie Mansion is indeed the place, but my foolish action long ago wasn't within sight of the building. I don't remember it well, but I recall that it wasn't a glorified building and had little pretense. I liked that. Don't know if the humble if large house survived the years of gigantic egos that inhabited the place.

I thought that the new colorful plastic paper clips were tres cool. Unfortunately they don't work as well as the old fashioned kind. Somewhere along the way I learned that rubber bands and metal paper clips don't mix. Ever. Somehow I don't think that the enemies of Christendom consider any kind of paper fastening devices useful aggressive devices.

I don't know the blister reference to Mark Knopfler but I sure respect his guitar playing ability. I'm sure that he suffered endless blisters with his finger-style playing. "Sultans of Swing" is an all time favorite. What a wonderful breath of fresh air it was!
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  10. ThunderRd

Home page:
    From 'Money for Nothing' on the Brothers In Arms album by Dire Straits. You have to know it. This album is possibly/probably/arguably their best work.
  11. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Microwave ovens and... I know the album. It's just that imho, Mr Knopfler doesn't sing well, so I misremember the lyrics more than I should. It doesn't matter that his voice isn't that great, his guitar playing is good enough to cover everything.
  12. Daniel~

Home page:
    Mark and Emmylou Harris have done a lot of songs together. Don't know a thing about the relationship beyond that.

I really like most of what they do together...

"Somewhere beyond the blue
    there's a star that shines just for you."

Speaking as one who knows...that music is a dream beyond his own reach...
    When it comes to Marks singing..

"Don't say nothin bad about my baby..
    Oh Noooooo. ":O}
    (The Shirells, I think?)
  13. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I saw maybe a half hour of Emmylou and Mark together on stage somewhere. I could easily be wrong but it seemed to me that Mr Knopfler wanted to get close to Ms Harris, but she wanted nothing of it. Emmylou was a knockout when she was younger not to mention a fine, fine musician and especially singer. Nowadays I tend to feel that she lost her voice yet she loves to perform so much that she can't stay off of the stage. Which is a shame. She's also a very attractive woman in her old age.
    Mark Knopfler is probably even a better musician than she. Personally I think he's far more talented than Clapton. But he's handicapped by a very un-photogenic visage. So unfair. I dunno what Emmylou and Mark are like as a people. I do know that Eric Clapton is said to be a real prick.
  14. Daniel~

Home page:
    I Prefer knowing almost nothing about the artists I'm fortunate enough to have encountered, in the usual way as one who appreciates rather than understands.

Sometimes by accident I''ll learn something...
    Two words:

Mel Gibson...

Just look how That turned out!

Ike Turner...
    Who needed to know!? Poor Tina!!

I find I enjoy them more when I know them less.":O}
  15. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I never really enjoyed country before an old Viet-Nam vet pal I hung out with in Oklahoma City during the summer of '78 introduced Emmylou Harris to me. Quarter Moon in a Ten Cent Town -unforgettable, what a great song! I became a fan almost overnight, I was fortunate in seeing her live three times over the years. The first was time in San Francisco, my date (the English major--she showed me that being an autodidact can be embarrassing) and I were ten feet from the small stage. That was a performance to remember, she was supported by The Hot Band. These guys deserved the name, they were fantastic, as was she!

I know very little about her--her father was a Marine Corps major and she was married at least three times, that's it.

I understand why you wish to know nothing beyond the musical capability of artists. But I think that knowing something beyond the talent is interesting. Maybe because I had musical aspirations and worked very hard on them for about a decade. Or maybe I am just fascinated by genuine talent.
  16. Daniel~

Home page:
    I saw Bob Dylan In San Diego in 1966, Janis Joplin in 67 or 68.
    Seems like there might have been more....
    Yet somehow there wasn't...
    Solitude can just beat the hell out of a guys social life.":O}

Marty Robers, I sorta picked him up while visiting an "absentine" father at 16.

Burl Ive's..."A little bitty tear let me down" just slipped into mind.

Some great while later my ears opened to what Willie Nelsen was doing all over the musical map. The man has taken a journey! I sorta tagged along a bit.
    These days it's whatever, whenever it finds me.

I Do keep running into the same people decades later...Marianne Faithful. If you haven't heard her since the 60's... your in for a fright and a delight, what raw UN-filtered PAIN!

The woman could embarrass Crumb!! I kid you not!

OK she scares me a little, but her sisterhood is undeniable.

"She'll always be another one of us.".

Beyond that... you know,... what ever has a beat that doesn't scare away the melody.
    I'm a sucker for songs that tell our stories.":O}
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  17. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Wow, I had no idea that you leaned towards solitude so long ago. I think I was too crazy to pull that off back then, I enjoyed babbling with people who understood me more or less. Amazing that you saw Dylan when he cared about making a good performance. I'm told that it's a total waste of a ticket to see him recently--he simply doesn't care. As music performance tickets cost the earth nowadays, do not waste the money.

I had the great good fortune to see Janis Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding Company quite a few times. And every ticket was less than ten bucks. She gave her all on stage. What a nasty shock it was that she punched out. She will always be remembered by those of roughly her same age. Who cared about her talent, that is.

My jug of cheap wine was confiscated by the security guards while entering Winterland, in SF. I complained about it and twice was shown to Bill Graham's office. He didn't yell at me. Amazing. A clear explanation was given, so I left the office with a minor shrug. I was under 21, so where was my true beef?

I saw Marianne Faithful on tv a few years ago. Sure, she wasn't the young beauty she was long ago, but she was serious with the song she sang. I liked her.

If you mean Marty Robbins "El Paso" is one of those eternal songs, an amazing piece of work. I lost some respect for Willie Nelson after his backing band's dismal performance during an episode of "Austin City Limits." Willie was OK, but the band was loaded to the gills, they couldn't even keep time. I know, complain, complain.
  18. graywolf.theheathen

graywolf.theheathen Member

19. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you for this information, graywolf.theheathen! This thread has been re-normed!
  20. graywolf.theheathen

graywolf.theheathen Member

No worries on the off the rails conversation. I enjoy the old tech talk too.
    I got started with computers later than some. My first one was in '97, a Packard Bell 486 dx.
    Then I built my first computer so I could play Warcraft 1 and Diablo 1. It had a rocking AMD K6-2 266Mhz cpu with a massive 1.2 Gb hard drive. Ahh, good times.