1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cities:Skylines

Discussion in 'STEAM Powered Linux' started by steve723, Mar 12, 2015.

1. steve723

steve723 Member

In my opinion Paradox Interactive just dethroned EA/Maxis Simcity as King of the city builders with their new game which launched two days ago. Cities: Skylines which is available on all three OSes Win/Mac/Linux is the new King of the city builders. 'Long live the King'! It sure isn't that terrible Simcity 2013. You can eventually build your city 9x Simcity 2013. If you get the mod - I forgot the name of the mod - then you can get 25x! You need a great gaming rig to 25x Simcity 2013 or your FPS will go to far down. Very very very much better after that Simcity 2013 nightmare.
  2. steve723

steve723 Member

O and the graphics... Way cool even using OpenGL3.2!
  3. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    how are the online servers for Cities Skylines?
    I remember that whole ordeal with EA
  4. steve723

steve723 Member

Nothing like EA's bitter disappointment. Smooth sailing for the servers. As Captain Kirk said "Second star to the right and straight on til morning". :) This the most fun in a city builder I have bar none! Even Maxis Simcity 4 is left in its dust!
  5. booman

Home page:
    That is great to hear!
    I love it when other companies do better than the "big guys"
  6. steve723

steve723 Member

I read that they broke their sales record buy selling over 500K copies in six days since launch! This sounds to me like a true underdog victory. :):cool: In my opinion EA/Maxis Simcity franchise is going down! I don't think they were trying to take down Simcity. It looks like taking EA/Maxis to school was just a bonus. :rolling:
  7. steve723

steve723 Member

Oh Did I mention its native Linux! :cool: Well Steam for Linux, but still. :D
  8. steve723

steve723 Member

I just discovered you can stream this game from a Linux box to a Windows box! Tux is Da man/peguin now! :):):cool::D
  9. booman

Home page:
    Through Steam streaming?
    Now Windows has a use :p
  10. steve723

steve723 Member

Yep Now if I can just figure ouut how to get Qucken deluxe 2015 to run via wine then maybe I could think about reformating my Windows drive and using just Linux. I should probably wait a while though. Something sure to come along that won't work in Linux or Linux/wine. Then again My windoze is Vista 32 bit. :eek:
  11. booman

Home page:
    Yeah, I still run Vista Ultimate, Win 7 and Win 8. Only for games of course...
    Since Windows 10 is going to be free, I will probably hang on to Windows for a bit longer. My goal is always to keep costs low. Built a computer and play games with the lowest cost possible, so anyone can play PC games.
    Linux will probably win in the end because Windows 10 is only free as an upgrade, not a fresh install.
  12. steve723

steve723 Member

I would get rid of win vista since win seems to handle win vista and earlier very well but I'd hold on to Windows 7 and above for now. I bet I won't be able to upgrade win 10 from Vista so free probably won't help unless Microsoft will agree to let me do a full install since I have win 95, win 98 platform preview ( I was a beta tester for win 98.), win 98, win xp and win vista licences.
  13. booman

Home page:
    Wow, all the way back to Win 98 huh?
    I think Win 98 was my first gaming Operating System.
    A friend gave it to me for free since you didn't need a key to activate it.
    I don't mind upgrading to Windows 10 as long as it remains free. I won't even bother if it "time bombs" and I have to pay for it.

My goal is to migrate all of my computers over to Linux
    With the rate of games being released it looks like I can do it sooner than later.
  14. steve723

steve723 Member

My first PC game was via MS-DOS 2 in 1983! I forgot what it was. Breakout I think. You know using huge 8 bit paddles to knock a 4 pixel square ball around trying to knock down a wall of coloured blocks. If you miss you lose a life. I think you started with three lives and clearing a level gave you one more but then the ball moved faster and the paddles got shorter! It took lots of concentration when you only had a too pixel width paddle and the ball was moving almost as fast as you could spot it let alone have time to react. Lol :rolling:
  15. booman

Home page:
    Thats awesome! The first PC game I ever played was California Games on my friends computer.
    Then later another friend showed me Doom II and Heretic... after that I was hooked!
    We should start a new thread about our first PC and first PC Game
  16. steve723

steve723 Member

Could be controversial. It be like trying to decide who invented the worlds first PC, IBM corp (Microsoft) or Tandy computers (Radio Shack - later named TRS X (some Number) - ). That reminds me remember the first gaming consuls of the 1970's? Lets see first we got an 8 bit Tandy vision then later an Atari 8600 or was it 8200, I can't remember. :D